How often do you dive "dry" year round?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's nothing like standing around for an hour or so in your drysuit on when it's 95 degrees out.

Why on Earth would you do that?

:11:

RJP...do tell..PM if necessary. :)

Either way, don/doff times are actually not even worth discussing...last time I checked diving wasn't a race.

Invariably someone on the boat will bring it all back around to the "hassle" of donning/doffing a dry suit vs a wetsuit. Depending on how big their mouth is, I'll challenge them to put some beer money on the line.

Whoever gets in and/or out slower buys the beer.

Haven't had to pay for a round yet!:crafty:

When was the last time you had to wax the zipper on your wetsuit? Or wash out a valve? Also, do you fill your drysuit with water? If not, that means you are being careful to avoid getting water in the neck and wrist seals when cleaning. Trust me when I tell you when you live in an apt and have no access to an outdoor cleaning area, and a cramped bathtub is your gear cleaning area, the ability to toss a wetsuit into the tub with the shower running, swish around, flip inside out and swish around again, and hang to dry, is a MUCH less involved process than cleaning a drysuit and trying to maneuver a large DS around the tub faucet 6" from the wall. Clearly YMMV vary depending your personal circumstances, but in my situation, yes, Virginia, there is a difference, and it's substantial.

I can do the same with my trilam DUI TLS. I dont care if water goes inside since anyway, I dry both sides by "flipping it inside out" (SIC). I let it dry 5 minutes on each sides but it's often dry faster than that. Except those neoprene socks.

So my drysuit is dry and stored 1 or 2 days before my wet mitts and hood

Before making any comparison, we should decide which wetsuit (type, thickness, etc.) we compare with which drysuit (neoprene, compressed neoprene, crushed neoprene, trilaminate, vulcanized rubber, etc.) If we dont, this is pretty irrelevant.

I certainly don't agree with your points on the 'hassles' of drysuit storage/maintenance.

Your points are just soo miniscule or what we are willing to do for diving is just that far apart. I mean for Pete's sake (no not Net Doc)..you are comparing the weight of a wetsuit to that of a drysuit/undergarment, or taking 30 seconds to wax a zipper at the end of the day, seperating dry stuff from wet stuff on the way home..

"You can say that, but when was the last time you tried to cram a weekend's worth of gear into two bags" I can cram all my gear into one bag if I had too..including drysuit/undergarment..everything but the tanks. I use two though with no problem...much easier and less cramped. And that is all the gear I would ever need..not just for a weekend. And the bag is not over-sized to airline standards, so that argument doesnt work either for me.

Ohh and I can easily clean my drysuit in a tub..even if the faucet is only 6" away.

This sounds like a I'm taller than you contest, but dude....you just got me floored on the reasons you give. I would love to sit and watch you take a rebreather course and watch your mouth drop on the pre-dive checklists. Now THAT would be funny.

:mooner:

Invariably someone on the boat will bring it all back around to the "hassle" of donning/doffing a dry suit vs a wetsuit. Depending on how big their mouth is, I'll challenge them to put some beer money on the line.

Whoever gets in and/or out slower buys the beer.

Haven't had to pay for a round yet!:crafty:

Here's the challenge: You time me while I don/doff my drysuit. Then time me while I do the same with the wet. If I'm faster with the dry I buy, if faster with the wet you buy. (Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve)

Here's the challenge: You time me while I don/doff my drysuit. Then time me while I do the same with the wet. If I'm faster with the dry I buy, if faster with the wet you buy. (Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve)

Now you're asking me to put my money where your mouth is...

:D

Back
Top Bottom