How often do you dive "dry" year round?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I'm one of those few that went the big fat 7MM neoprene way with those big bulky hard boots beaucoup years ago. I really like the suit once it's on since it fits like it's customized but being a basically lazy SOB the donning/doffing hassle annoys me. Maybe I'll look into compressed neoprene/tri-lam/vulcanized rubber (is there that much of a difference in benefits between these types?) suits this winter. I'm a little leery of the latex seals, though, for fear of a skin reaction.

vulcanized rubber is heavy and not as comfortable but it dries instantly, tears can be repaired in a matter of minutes and is a good insulator of the environment if you dive in poluted areas so commercial divers like it I heard.

I was leery of latex seals too for many reasons but I wouldn't change now. I've had my drysuit for 5 "seasons" now. Trilaminate is very comfortable and so light. dries also extremly quickly.

compressed neoprene is still neoprene but crushed neoprene (DUI makes one, dont remember the name) is supposed to be very good in all aspects (except the price :D)

Im currently using a vulcanised rubber suit until my MTM suit is made.

Its very robust, very flexible, dries instantly but is a little heavy (although no heavier than a neoprene suit).

Unfortunately no company in the UK makes them now and the military have replaced with Codura suits and i absolutely HATE codura.

SoCal here.

My CLX450 takes noticeably longer to dry than my Henderson InstaDry 7mm.

My Drysuit + undergarments take more room to transport than my 7mm fullsuit, booties, gloves and hood... and requires more care during transport, unlike a fairly indestructible wetsuit.

It's a lot more complicated to clean a drysuit carefully than to quickly rinse off a wetsuit (again, InstaDry simplifies wetsuit care a bit, so YMMV).

As a result, I dive dry when my expected bottom times are long enough to justify it, and pretty much full time in the winter. During the summer, it's so hot topside and the water is warm enough that a wetsuit is a lot simpler... especially when dealing with classes and shore dives.

For days spent diving off boats, I almost always dive dry... but for shore dives, there are a lot of variables I weigh before deciding.

I guess you have a neoprene drysuit then. That would explain the bulkyness and the fact it takes more time to dry. a trilaminate drysuit (or better, a vulcanized rubber one) is much faster to dry.
I use a neoprene drysuit too (Bare CD4) so its not faster to dry than a wetsuit, but man am I faster in and out of it than a wetsuit.. Even If I zip up the back entry zipper myself. Something I basically do the same way you do with a back zip wetsuit - With a nice piece of cord..

The "extra lugging around" for me would be wearing the undergarments getting to the site vs having a hooded vest in my box..

In very hot air temps (like 25 celcius+) I can understand the "damn its hot here" issue with such suits tho..

Here in Austin, I dive with a Bare Trilam Tech HD drysuit from November - June or until the topside temp becomes unbearable:) Donning a drysuit is a lot easier than getting into one of the 7mm wetsuits.

I dive here in Florida all year in a drysuit. There's nothing like standing around for an hour or so in your drysuit on when it's 95 degrees out. Sometimes when I get out of my drysuit, I'm wetter than I'd get in my wetsuit. Needless to say, I only wear it when I have to.

My Drysuit + undergarments take more room to transport than my 7mm fullsuit, booties, gloves and hood... and requires more care during transport, unlike a fairly indestructible wetsuit.

It's a lot more complicated to clean a drysuit carefully than to quickly rinse off a wetsuit (again, InstaDry simplifies wetsuit care a bit, so YMMV).

Those reasons are hysterical. :dork2: The extra space needed for a drysuit and undergarment is laughable at the very least. Requires more care? I suppose if you are transporting it with open boxes of sharp kitchen utensils.

And my favorite....how in the hell is it more complicated to clean a drysuit?? Surely complicated is not the right word....maybe there are a few extra steps like rinsing off the dump and addition valves...ohh and then there is the complicated task of waxing a zipper. :rofl3::rofl3:

Now your other reasons:

"My CLX450 takes noticeably longer to dry than my Henderson InstaDry 7mm" ok...understandable.

and

"As a result, I dive dry when my expected bottom times are long enough to justify it, and pretty much full time in the winter. During the summer, it's so hot topside and the water is warm enough that a wetsuit is a lot simpler... especially when dealing with classes and shore dives" - Personal preference, can't argue that. :blinking:

good lord..thanks for the laugh though.

BTW, you didn't really participate in a donning/doffing contest did you? And on the off chance that you did, what were the circumstances that led up to the "challenge"?

When you dive dry in 85F water, you receive a good deal of ribbing about it. Let’s just say that I’ve found a way to not only quiet the naysayers but also get a round or two of beers paid for as well!

:D

RJP...do tell..PM if necessary. :)

Also, to Kam...you can't argue with RJP on this one...well, ok I guess you can..but your drysuit and the one he wears are two totally different animals.

I can pack my 30/30 drysuit and undergarment in the same bag I would use for my 3mm. It does dry quicker than a traditional wetsuit...not sure about Insta-dry though.

I'm not sure about don/doff times...usually when I boat dive I make sure I'm half into my suit b4 I even get on the boat. This helps protect my undergarment from water on the boat ride out and plus others dont really care about where water ends up when diving wet...but I do. :)

Either way, don/doff times are actually not even worth discussing...last time I checked diving wasn't a race.

J

Those reasons are hysterical. :dork2: The extra space needed for a drysuit and undergarment is laughable at the very least. Requires more care? I suppose if you are transporting it with open boxes of sharp kitchen utensils.

You can say that, but when was the last time you tried to cram a weekend's worth of gear into two bags, and which all had to be transported in one trip onto the Catalina Express ferry? Ordinarily, I'd agree, but there are definitely situations where every little bit matters. And carefully rolling/packing a DS to care for glove rings and valves, and carefully placing in the bag to avoid wear and tear on fragile latex seals is indeed a bit more complicated than tossing an indestructible wetsuit into a bag anywhichway. And combined drysuit+undergarments is both physically bigger and more bulky and heavier than my little wetsuit duffel bag. And on the return trip, with a wetsuit there is no need to separate wet and dirty DS + rockboots from the undergarments.

And my favorite....how in the hell is it more complicated to clean a drysuit?? Surely complicated is not the right word....maybe there are a few extra steps like rinsing off the dump and addition valves...ohh and then there is the complicated task of waxing a zipper. :rofl3::rofl3:

When was the last time you had to wax the zipper on your wetsuit? Or wash out a valve? Also, do you fill your drysuit with water? If not, that means you are being careful to avoid getting water in the neck and wrist seals when cleaning. Trust me when I tell you when you live in an apt and have no access to an outdoor cleaning area, and a cramped bathtub is your gear cleaning area, the ability to toss a wetsuit into the tub with the shower running, swish around, flip inside out and swish around again, and hang to dry, is a MUCH less involved process than cleaning a drysuit and trying to maneuver a large DS around the tub faucet 6" from the wall. Clearly YMMV vary depending your personal circumstances, but in my situation, yes, Virginia, there is a difference, and it's substantial.

Now your other reasons:

"My CLX450 takes noticeably longer to dry than my Henderson InstaDry 7mm" ok...understandable.

and

"As a result, I dive dry when my expected bottom times are long enough to justify it, and pretty much full time in the winter. During the summer, it's so hot topside and the water is warm enough that a wetsuit is a lot simpler... especially when dealing with classes and shore dives" - Personal preference, can't argue that. :blinking:

good lord..thanks for the laugh though.

Always happy to brighten someone's day.

Back
Top Bottom