How much weight do I add

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

REII

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How much weight should I add going from a Henderson 3mm Hyperstretch to a 7mm Bare Alpine? I weigh 255lb and use 20lb with the 3mm.

I am thinking of trying to add 5lbs.

What do you think?

Thanks,

TOM

I just started using a seven mil bare arctic. I wish I only had to add five pounds. While it is new it will be very bouyant from 15 feet up. To be ok there I had to go from 4 pounds with my 3 mil and vest to 17 lbs. Yes, I said 17 lbs. ugh.

Knowing my Bare 7mm Arctic and my Bodyglove 3mm I'd suggest 10-12 pounds over what the 3mm took.

Pete

I just started using my arctic a couple of weeks ago and tried with only 12 lbs. I had to swim down the first ten feet. Of course, at 30 I was adding air. I think soon I will be able to use just the 12 extra if it compresses like all of my other suits have, but new I needed more for the arctic.

beautybelow:
I just started using my arctic a couple of weeks ago and tried with only 12 lbs. I had to swim down the first ten feet. Of course, at 30 I was adding air. I think soon I will be able to use just the 12 extra if it compresses like all of my other suits have, but new I needed more for the arctic.

Would you please explain how you mae a safe ascent when your cylinder is 5 pounds or solmore buoyant at the end of the dive?

Pete

I probably ended the dive with close to 2000 psi. It wasnt real relaxing, but I could make myself nuetral at the end of the dive. I said I had to add 13 lbs to the original 4 that I normally dive with using a 3 mil. I think you should be able to make a safe ascent if you are a little light at the end of the dive. If you have to.

REII:
How much weight should I add going from a Henderson 3mm Hyperstretch to a 7mm Bare Alpine? I weigh 255lb and use 20lb with the 3mm.

I am thinking of trying to add 5lbs.

What do you think?

Thanks,

TOM
I had to add 8 pounds going from my 3mm to 7mm, but i do suspect your probably overweighted a bit now.Thats a lot of weight for a 3mm.

Thanks for all of the responses. You guys are always a lot of help. Sounds like I need to try 10lbs and do a bouyancy check.

terrasmak:
i do suspect your probably overweighted a bit now.Thats a lot of weight for a 3mm.

I have been told that before, but I have not been able to drop weight. When I dive with my 3mm, I have a basic Mares jacket BCD with no back plate and an AL80. With 18lbs I can dive, but I cannot hold a safety stop with 500-750 psi. I can do it with just a skin, but not 3mm.

What am I missing? I would love to take some weight off.

TOM

I'll let the masters of explanation/typing take this on from here. Could be breathing control , air trapping and plenty of other things. Its just very odd you carry more a lot more weight than i do with an alum80 , 7mm , 5mm hooded vest all in salt. Something doesnt seem right.

Different humans have different buoyancy characteristics. Could be that simple. Different amount of body fat (ie lean and muscled vs. pudgy, fat floats!), etc. Some people are just more floaty than others. I know people who sink in a swimsuit with a full breath, and other people I could almost stand on while they floated. There is no one weight fits all solution...

Back
Top Bottom