Good 3mm wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have dived a number of 3 mm full suits since 2002. Currently, I have a Henderson Greenprene suit. I think it is the warmest 3 mm suit I have had. It is the easiest suit to don and doff. It is also the most buoyant 3 mm suit I have had. I take 2 lbs more weight with the Greenprene than any other 3 mm suit. A small penalty for the other advantages.

Men and Women Wet suit 3mm Neoprene $69
Linky

ScubaPro Definition Steamer 3 Mens $340
Made from X-Foam, a petroleum-free, limestone neoprene.
Linky

No one has mentioned the importance of a metal slider. Some suits have them and some, including some pricey ones mentioned here, do not. It only takes one time where the slider breaks off (and flies off into the Yucatan jungle, for example :mad:) to convince you to avoid suits with plastic sliders.

Henderson 3mm Greenprene Men's Full Wetsuit $480
Bio Based Insulating Foam (whatever that is)
Linky

This seems like a very nice 3mm wetsuit.

Men and Women Wet suit 3mm Neoprene $69
Linky

ScubaPro Definition Steamer 3 Mens $340
Made from X-Foam, a petroleum-free, limestone neoprene.
Linky

I’m not familiar with that one. I’d assume up front that it’s not going to have the same seals on the inner stitching or lining. It will be an Asian cut as well, which might or might not be a problem depending on your build. Probably a bit stiffer as well.

At the end of the day, it’s a 3mm so we aren’t talking about huge differences, unless you’re the type to get cold easily.

What's the difference between a 3mm wetsuit that cost $500 at a LDS and a 3mm wetsuit that cost $80 on Amazon? Both are the same material and thickness.

Possibilities include:

- Fit
- Lining material
- Stitching
- Seam style
- Specific type of neoprene (what it's actually made of, actual thickness, density, stretchiness, compression-resistance)
- Main zipper
- Wrist and ankle zippers
- Seals at the neck, main zipper, wrists, and ankles
- Other features (e.g. small zipper at the neck/throat area, pockets, velcro protector tabs, computer strap loops)
- Protective layers on the outside (e.g. elbow or knee patches/pads)
- Warranty and manufacturer support for it

Most of the items in that list have a direct effect on how warm it will keep you.

The reviews on the Amazon wetsuit while ok do seem to point out the sizes are not American sizes. I have been out of the game for a while so refresh my brain, what water temp is a 3mm good for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom