• 500 - 1000 - I'm a diving guru

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • 1000+ I taught Cousteau

Votes: 25 3.6%
  • 2000+ Cousteau, that whipper snapper

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 3000+ I dived with the dinosaurs

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • 0 - I don't have any idea how many dives I've made.

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter once bubbled...
I only have 93 EAN dives.
Just have to rub it it, dontcha :D

Bet you were one of those curve breakers in school, too LOL.

Seriously, as a new diver with 12 OW dives, I religiously log my dives for all the various reasons others have given in earlier posts (this thread has been around for awhile!) - keep track of what worked with my equipment, especially the weighting, what didn't, sights, conditions, people I dove with, etc. It helps me to improve as a diver, especially since I dive infrequently.

As far as the pool vs OW debate, I personally woudn't log a pool dive. I might capture some of the highlights, particularly if it was to test equipment, but wouldn't count it in my total.

Including the two I did this morning that makes 260. I've filled 4 NAUI logbooks and started #5 today. Next weekend a couple of more dives then Memorial Day weekend should get about 7 or 8 more. It helps diving year round, love my Florida water.:thumb:

~58% have 100 dives or less
~70% have 200 dives or less

While probably not a statistically valid survey (respondents were not randomly selected from the diving population), the responses do provoke some interesting thoughts:

- many in the 51-200 dive categories stated they were just learning. NAUI, PADI and SSI require anywhere from 20-40 logged dives to begin a DM course and both PADI & SSI require that the candidate have 60 logged dives to gain the certification (I didn't find any info on NAUI completion requirements in my brief search). Similar requirements for Instructor - 50 to 75 dives to begin, 100 upon completion for certification (again, I didn't find any NAUI requirement for final certification).

- Under the PADI requirements, it appears one could theoretically complete the DM course with 60 logged dives and then progress to Instructor with no additional experience. While I doubt it happens, who knows.

- Since these levels of certification are supposed to represent dive leaders, it seems that the experience factor is a bit light (and based on some posts I've seen on this board, there are many who agree). I realize that this represents the minimum requirement to get into the game. How many people actually do so? Perhaps this is the basis for another thread/poll.

Instructors out there - any thoughts? Do you accept candidates with the bare minimum number of dives? Of course, there may be candidates who have good skills without as much dive experience, but I imagine they would be rare exceptions.

As a future AOW student, I want to ensure that my instructor has a significant amount of experience and will be sure to inquire.

mmm I dont keep logs any more ( why ? what would I do with them...show friends ? ) . Recon I got about 700 - 800.

Logged dives vs. actual dives is a different thing for most of us!

I was really anal for the first 2 log books (150ea)...when I filled up the 2nd I never bought another.

Now my sig. other dives for work so HAS to log those dives (on computer not book) and he has literally thousands of dives logged, not counting all the non logged rec. dives he's done over the past 16 years.

:eek:ut:

navy85 once bubbled...
[B- Under the PADI requirements, it appears one could theoretically complete the DM course with 60 logged dives and then progress to Instructor with no additional experience. While I doubt it happens, who knows. ]

It does happen, I know some cases. In fact I heard of a girl that got it all straight from OWD to instructor!

[ Of course, there may be candidates who have good skills without as much dive experience, but I imagine they would be rare exceptions. [/B]
I also know people who get AOW with the minimum dives needed and no skills.
Personnally I´ve made 75 dives, I just got my DM cert. I´ve learn in every dive and hope I wont stop learning. I´ve been learneing for the past 10 years to be a good physician, and I have to keep on learning everyday.
About my formal diving education, I´m not interested in being an instructor but rather get some more thecnical courses.

Keep on dinig, keep on learning.

Although I did my first dive in 1961 or 1962, I never logged dives until June, 2000. There was no need since I did all my diving around Catalina, had "my" own compressor and boat, and had no plans to travel.

Then I decided I had to try the tropics so I started recording my dives. I've done at least 550 since June, 2000. Now it has become an obsession to log everything of 20 minutes or longer.

Dr. Bill

Hmmm...Thus far I have somewhere around 2000 dives, none logged. (Lazyness, pure and simple!) Guess I'll need to work on that.

Back
Top Bottom