• 500 - 1000 - I'm a diving guru

Votes: 55 8.0%
  • 1000+ I taught Cousteau

Votes: 25 3.6%
  • 2000+ Cousteau, that whipper snapper

Votes: 7 1.0%
  • 3000+ I dived with the dinosaurs

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • 0 - I don't have any idea how many dives I've made.

Votes: 3 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far...in 5 months.. I've done only 15 dives because My fatehr and I have problems in schedules.

I've got 177 logged and a few beach dives I never logged.

My best dive expierence was on the Blackbeard Cruise diving
off South Bimini... the Victories Reef was awesome.

I've dove in St Thomas, Grand Cayman, Fla Keys.... nothing so far compares to the dives in the Bahama's.

Anybody got some awesome diving spots, I'd like to here from ya!

a 3-ring binder with note paper, everything since is just logged into my PC, where I suppose I could print it out if I had any reason to. My "early" dives had tons of info...wt, air consumption, all that stuff...but now it's mostly just location, date, max depth & time, # of customers/students and anything of interest I saw on the dive. Since it's all (the last 7 years) tropical swimsuit & t-shirt diving, I don't use wts or wetsuits anyhow. I have one "teaching site" where I've done ~1,050 dives, so there's not a good reason to write down the same fish 1,050 times!

The main exception is when I dive on a day off...I try to find a new site & I'll make plenty of notes in my computer to reference later, especially if I want to consider it as a site for future customers.

Oh...and as far as "what's a dive?" (I know this was asked early in the topic; I haven't read the intervening answers) I've typically heard 5m (16') and 20 minutes or more with at least 10 minutes SI. One could do roughly 48 dives/day using this "formula" (30 minutes per dive "cycle" assuming they had someone there to hand them a fresh tank) but I'd never think of those as "real" dives. I've never tried to "pad" my numbers by doing these kinds of dives...normally my dives would be: working, 8~40m (27~130') for 30 minutes to an hour, with an SI of 40 minutes or more. Day off dives would be from 8~you-don't-want-to-know-how-many meters, for 40 minutes to 1:30.

Since I'm a retired Navy diver my log is split in half. I have approx 1000 unclassified and over 1000 classified dives.

I've logged a few over 600 dives for a total of 554 hours and 16 minutes bottom time. Up until this year, about half my dives were in salt water but I'll get more freshwater dives is this year. With the discoveryof a new local lake, my dive count will increase to about 150 per year. Considering I only dive from April to October, that's not too bad. Next year I hope to vary the locations a bit more!!!

well I just cam back from a trip where I did 22 dives that is 1/5th of my total dives... I now have 93.

So it might be onthe next trip that I become a 3 figured diver!

Also been under water for 2 days 19hours!

=-)

Last weekend on of my students burned through 2500 PSI in 9 minutes. I was shocked!!

I have 170 logged scuba dives but not including open water dives which were maybe 50*5=250 plus setting the flag and float add another 50 or so. Also have many hundred free dives chasing groupers and mermaids. :D

... is not the number of dives logged ; it is, more importantly:

> the amount of time spent u/w

> what was experienced in that time

Dive logs can look, well, like some board participants posting record - hundreds of entries, but little actual substance offered.

I ask my students to keep a running log of their accumulated bottom time, with accurate descriptions of what they saw/did/experienced during the dive. This can tell the Divemaster/Vessel Master/potential dive buddy much more than a simple number.

Regards,
D.S.D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom