How long have you been diving?

How long have you been diving?

• I am a Student or certified less than 1 year ago.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 23 11.8%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • 10-20 years

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • 20-30 years

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • More than 30 years

Votes: 55 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some years back I met a guy who proudly told me he'd been diving for over 30 years, and had almost 300 dives.

I told him I'd been diving about a year and a half and had more dives than he did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks everyone! Actually, I was surprised by the number of "over 30 year divers." Most of the divers I've met (that are still active) were certified within the past 10 years (the poll indicates that only 59% fall into this category). More than 85% of respondents had more than 3 years diving experience! Perhaps my role as an Instructor has affected my perception; divers with less experience may seek instruction more that their more experience Buddies. I can't be sure. It may be that SB attracts the more committed type of diver?

Again its been my impression that a problem in the recreational diving industry was diver retention. If this poll is representative of the industry; this doesn't seem to be much of an issue...

Thanks for your input!

Wayne

Actually I believe the opposite to be true. Pretty much none of the diver buddies I dived with regularly over the years still dive, most have long since quit and most were younger than me. I think there is an over representation of the long time active older hardcore divers here on scubaboard compared to the younger active divers. I would venture to guess the average number of active diving years for all divers certified is less than ten, maybe a lot less. Over 57 years I moved from buddy to buddy many times because they dropped out, probably 5 years was the average I had the same steady buddy.

51 years next July.

And no Bob, it was not 500 dives. My best conservative estimate is around 3000 dives, which isn't bad for a one who is not a dive professional nor has much discretionary income. It just proves that diving can be a poor man's hobby, if done right.

Bob
---------------------------------
All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

I first used SCUBA during the winter of 1961-62. First 7 years were in pools (as a lifeguard I had to clean the bottom of our deep diving well) and quarries. First ocean dive was in 1969.

11 years of continuous diving

I don't have that many dives total, but I have a lot of quality dives, I average 55 dives a year
About 150 Cave dives and about 40 between 150-200' (Great Lakes and caves)

I have taken a significant course every year on average
OW, AOW, Rescue, Cavern, Nitrox, Intro Cave, Adv Nitrox/Deco Procedures, Cave/Technical Cave, Normoxic Trimix, DPV, Sidemount

I got certified in 1982. Didn't do a lot of diving the first few years, mainly because there were only a couple of sites locally, and the diving season only lasted about 6 months. Now that I live on the coast, it is year round diving :D. Living next door to the ocean, with multiple local dive sites, has allowed me to do a lot of diving over the last few years - albeit cold water diving in a dry suit :errrr: Now that I have discovered the Caribbean I am able to get in a warm water trip every couple of years.

Divegoose

First dives in 1980. If I had stayed in Hawaii I might never have gotten certified or even scuba dived much. Surfing was way more fun. Certified in 94 in the Philippines. Not much scuba diving the last 10 years. Mostly free diving.

First went diving in 1969.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom