How long have you been diving?

How long have you been diving?

• I am a Student or certified less than 1 year ago.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 1-3 years

Votes: 23 11.8%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 19 9.7%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • 10-20 years

Votes: 43 22.1%
  • 20-30 years

Votes: 26 13.3%
  • More than 30 years

Votes: 55 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do the Scubaboard stats look like?

That would be interesting to know, as it might be considered relevant in a number of threads.

(Had to get a calculator to figure out how many years since being certified!)

Evidently, 47 years since getting certified for the first time, but, as is probably true with so many people, there was a long surface interval at one point.

00f25c60.jpg

Thanks everyone! Actually, I was surprised by the number of "over 30 year divers." Most of the divers I've met (that are still active) were certified within the past 10 years (the poll indicates that only 59% fall into this category). More than 85% of respondents had more than 3 years diving experience! Perhaps my role as an Instructor has affected my perception; divers with less experience may seek instruction more that their more experience Buddies. I can't be sure. It may be that SB attracts the more committed type of diver?

Again its been my impression that a problem in the recreational diving industry was diver retention. If this poll is representative of the industry; this doesn't seem to be much of an issue...

Thanks for your input!

Wayne

Forty Three years for me; waiting for the bitter cold to lift to do the 1st dive to start my 44th year.

OW with YMCA in 1991

I did my first scuba dive in 1964 at the age of 5 in Miami. Then did some diving in my teens, but did not jump back in fully till 1988. Since then it has been all encompassing.

Cheers
JDS

Thanks everyone! Actually, I was surprised by the number of "over 30 year divers." Most of the divers I've met (that are still active) were certified within the past 10 years (the poll indicates that only 59% fall into this category). More than 85% of respondents had more than 3 years diving experience! Perhaps my role as an Instructor has affected my perception; divers with less experience may seek instruction more that their more experience Buddies. I can't be sure. It may be that SB attracts the more committed type of diver?

Again its been my impression that a problem in the recreational diving industry was diver retention. If this poll is representative of the industry; this doesn't seem to be much of an issue...

Thanks for your input!

Wayne
... neither this poll, nor the membership of ScubaBoard in general, are representative of the industry. People who spend time posting on here tend to be more dedicated to scuba diving than the majority of people who get OW certified ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added February 13th, 2014 at 07:09 AM ----------

my certification doesn't even predate the internet, while Peter's predates plastic :)

I'll say ... I've heard him exclaim "yaba daba doo" when he pulls the thing out of his wallet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom