How is Bonaire ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pitri

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
My wife and I are going on a 3 weeks vacation and we are always looking for a place where we could combine above and underwater fun. We are not looking for anything fancy and we are not fixed on anyplace specific.

We started looking and I found Bonaire for the diving.
I have some questions and hopfully someone have answers:
1. If I'm coming to the caribian area, is this the best place to dive ?
2. How are the dives there ? what is there to see ? what is the condition of the reef/animals ? (I have been diving in the red sea, thailand, Indonesia if you can compare)
3. I heard of the shore theft problem. Is it still exists ?
4. What are the price ranges of accomodation ? any suggested place ?
5. What is the cheapest way to get there and from where ?
6. What is the cost for diving ?
7. Shore dive or boat dive ?

Wow, too many questions. I will probably get "Bonaire is ok"...:D
Thanks

pitri:
Wow, too many questions. I will probably get "Bonaire is ok"...:D
Bonaire is not OK, it is excellent! :D

Just don't expect any night life. Unless you're doing a night dive...

Bonaire is not ok! Bonaire is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go diving!

We've been to Bonaire twice and are returning in Oct. I can tell you this. Bonaire is all about shore diving. you can do some boat dives but there is ample shore dives to occupy several weeks. the shore diving is the best in the Caribbean. all the dive operators are set up to offer 24 hr access to tanks and the island locals are used to seeing divers all day and all night. you are on your own schedule, begin when you like and stay as long as you want.

the nightlife is very quiet on bonaire, subdued and laid back. truth be told by 11 pm I'm usually exhausted and enjoy quiet time on a balcony.

for the non-diver its mostly sun soaking, bird watching, eating and sleeping. Bonaire is a divers place so keep that in mind.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions. Have fun.

Can you tell me what is the reef condition ?
What is the crime status there ? I heard that the locals just love divers cars...
Can you recommend a dive club or a hotel/guest house with a dive club ?

Thanks

Welcome to the board.

I am heading back to Bonaire for my 10th trip in 6 yrs if that tells you anything. It is pretty sleepy, no big bars or night clubs. Just lots of diving and food. The reefs are in good condition but don't expect large fish or other animals like sharks. They are seen on occasion but not often. Coral and small reef fish are the main attraction. There are no big sandy beaches on Bonaire; the coast is mainly ironstone and coral rubble. There are a few sandy spots but nothing like other places. Most of the diving is shore diving with over 80 marked and more unmarked spots. You can boat dive but the main reason most of us go to Bonaire is the total dive freedom. I set my dive site, schedule, bottom time and depth.
Theft is a problem on Bonaire but no where as bad as some would make it out to be. Follow the simple rules of leaving nothing in your vehicle and the windows DOWN and you will be fine. In 9 trips with groups ranging from 2 to 24, none of us have had any problems. One of the reasons it gets talked about on Bonaire is the very nature of the diving there. You drive to isolated areas, park beside the road and dive. Quite often you are the only one at the site. Most of us rent a small truck to get around the island; it's perfect to dive from.
The price of accommodations varies a lot. There are a lot of less expensive places. The Plaza and Harbor Village being the more expensive. I am unaware of any really bad places to stay. For an on water resort, I like Buddy Dive. They have a great staff, both at the resort and the dive op. The accommodations are on the nicer side of average. For a less expensive alternative that's off the water (no place is far from the water) I like Golden Reef Inn. It's a small place and not as fancy as some of the other places but they have everything you need. It's clean, well kept, safe and Liz and Ed will take very good care of you.
The cost of diving is pretty cheap. A shore dive only package runs around $110 US for 7 days of unlimited tanks, unlimited Nitrox is around $110 more ($220-250 total).

Just got back 3 wks ago. Bonaire RULES!!!!! We stayed at BuddyDive and wanted for nothing. Operations and Staff were some of the best I have ever run into while traveling.

Hermans advice is golden. He helped answer lots of our questions when we went there and we followed his advice and had no problem. As far as theft herman is right, and i have heard that they have a new cheif of police and are working to clean things up a little more. If you go to infobonaire.com and go to the link for the reporter there was an article back a few months ago on this.

Side note: Herman next June we are going back for two weeks we are woking out details right now, and are going to stay at GRI. We had to post pone our trip. Maybe we can meet there. I think it is going to be my wife and I and another couple, in the one bedroom rroms. That way we have internet access there. We are probably going to do the continental flight. Let me know what you think.

Bonaire is AWESOME. We are heading back this fall. We chose not to stay right on the water last time (3 minute drive down hill to shore) and stayed at The Deep Blue View. Awsome B&B. We have not stayed at any other place on Bonaire, and we don't want to. That is not to say other places are not great - it's just we felt like we struck gold on our first trip. Did not want for anything, beautiful place, and Menno & Esther are great people.

Good luck with your plans, and have a great time!

I will keep that in mind Aaron. My normal buddies may not be able to make it next year and we do like hanging with a group.
And thanks for the kind words, I try hard to be accurate.

Back
Top Bottom