Captain Dons Habitat - Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devonled

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone! My friend and I are looking to do a dive trip to Bonaire, somewhere with lots of good shore diving. We ended up deciding on Captain Don’s habitat, and wondering if anyone has stayed there before, and can tell us about whether there is nearby accessible shore diving that don’t require a long walk? We won’t be renting a car. Thanks!

The house reef is nice as for shore diving you will need a rental to get to the sites. They do offer boat dive for an additional cost. I got my rental through capt don’s for 434 I think.

Yes, Capt Don's reef is fine....but you can't really walk with gear to the other shore dive sites.
If you really want to shore dive in Bonaire, you need a rental car/truck. Next door at Buddy Dive the rooms come with trucks.

You will be missing out on the whole Bonaire experience by not renting a truck! 80+ marked shore dive sites, just pull up your truck, gear up and dive on your schedule. From Captain Don's you can surface swim north and dive The Cliff dive site, or surface swim south to Buddy's Reef (don't waste air getting to the sites). We stay right next to Captain Don's, the house reef is good, there are some restaurants and the Chinese grocery store walking distance. Otherwise you will probably want a taxi to get into town. Either way, enjoy your trip! We arrive on April 20th for 2 weeks, can't wait!

CPT dons is great, but you absolutely need a rental truck. That's what Bonaire is made for. Anything else would be a waste of time.

Our first trip to Bonaire, we did not rent a truck, we stayed at Buddy's did three boat dives a day and the house reef 6 or 8 times. We were still very new to diving (20-30 dives) 20 something DINKs. Second trip a couple years later, all truck no boat. In the years since, mainly truck with a trip to Klein or two. So if you are "not there yet" headed of alone to shore dive, you can still have great trip, the truck will be more budget friendly though.

Our first trip to Bonaire, we did not rent a truck, we stayed at Buddy's did three boat dives a day and the house reef 6 or 8 times. We were still very new to diving (20-30 dives) 20 something DINKs. Second trip a couple years later, all truck no boat. In the years since, mainly truck with a trip to Klein or two. So if you are "not there yet" headed of alone to shore dive, you can still have great trip, the truck will be more budget friendly though.
And by the fourth day of the first trip did you wish you had a truck?

To me, the "Bonaire experience" is all about driving from one site to another, being able to choose a site based on how you're feeling at the moment. We stayed at Buddy's our first trip, too, but we absolutely had a truck.

A little

Thanks all! Unfortunately, my friend and I are under 26, so not old enough to rent a car. Additionally - we are not well-versed in driving stick. Does anyone have any suggestions?

CPT dons is great, but you absolutely need a rental truck. That's what Bonaire is made for. Anything else would be a waste of time.
We'd like to rent, but are both under 26 and unfamiliar driving stick. Any suggestions??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom