How is Bonaire ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pitri:
(I have been diving in the red sea, thailand, Indonesia if you can compare)
Bonaire is markedly inferior to the good destinations in Indonesia, and is generally inferior to Thailand as well. I haven't been to the Red Sea.

Bonaire is, however, among the top few destinations in the Caribbean, and it has a nice relaxing vibe above water.

It depends on what you're looking for. There are many other places in the world to dive that have better coral and better fish life. But the cost is usually having to operate from a boat with all the accompanying issues that make for endless threads here. You can boat dive on Bonaire too and there are some sites that are worth doing that for. But you don't go to Bonaire if you're looking for big animal encounters. What you will find is turtles, rays, eels, and the usual reef fish. Although it has been reported recently that a goliath grouper has taken up residence on the Hilma Hooker Wreck. I have no idea if it is still there or was just passing through though. There are some bigger things to see on the east side of the island but you need to be prepared for a wild ride because this is the windward side and it's rough.

What makes Bonaire unique though is its shore diving. Almost nowhere else in the world is there a healthy reef so close to shore that it's a convenient surface swim. Along with that is its accompanying freedom. You dive whenever you want and whatever profile you want. If you want to go deep there are places that you can get to 140'+ right from shore. If you want to stay shallow there are places with soft corals and all sorts of critters to see in less than 20 feet. It's all up to you.

Bonaire is great in that it offers as much freedom or hand holding as a diver wants. If for example someone is more comfortable diving with a DM from a boat there's plenty of it available to keep them content. There's also sites on the east side that can be accessed from shore, although it's highly inadvisable to do so unless you know exactly what you are doing or are with a qualified guide. This just maens that along with this freedom comes the full responsibility for your own safety. As long as that's kept in mind it's awesome.

It's also a great place for newly certified divers to cut their teeth. Most of the dive sites have barely any current and the vis is usually 100'+. Because of the shape of the island if it's rough at the southern sites the northern ones are usually calmer and vice versa so it's rare to not be able to find a dive site that just about anyone can be comfortable with.

As for the theft problem. Yes there is one. Yes it's less than elsewhere. Leave nothing in your truck and leave it open with the windows down and it'll be fine. Basically just plan that while you're underwater soemone is going to go through your vehicle. As for rooms. Sometimes there are break-ins, not a lot, but they do seem to keep occurring. The typical M.O. seems to be that they watch for someone to show signs that they're leaving the next morning and then they hit it that night. Use your room safe, don't leave things outside like your reg on the porch to dry or stuff like that. Don't use your laptop out on the porch where everyone can see you. There are no high-rise hotels on Bonaire which means most of the buildings are one or two floors making them easier for a theif trying to get in. Secure your room at night even when you're in it and be careful not to leave second floor windows or porch sliders open at night if you have them and you'll be fine. On the plus side violent crime is almost non-existant. 99.9% of the crime is property theft which is a very good thing when compared to other caribbean islands.

So pretty much just keep in mind a few relatively simple precautions and enjoy the heck out of the island and all it has to offer.

I have no idea how bad the theft from cars/trucks really is. Obviously it happens and we saw broken glass at a couple of sites there last year. What I found really annoying was having to leave the truck EMPTY. Want to drive down the island wearing a hat to protect from the sun? OK,but make sure it is one you dont mind losing. Want to stop in town after diving? Not going to happen unless you go back to your room first to change and get money,which kind of defeats the point.

(Somebody will probably reply telling me that it is a lot worse in Detroit. I am sure it is,but I dont go to Detroit for a vacation)

The diving was nice in a relaxed,gentle sort of way.

We stayed at CocoPalm Garden a little south of the airport and 3 blocks from the water. It is simple,basic and friendly. http://www.cocopalmgarden.org/HomePageEnglish.html
$64 a night per person (double occupancy) includes room,diving, and truck. Cant beat that!

We always leave towels and t-shirts in our open truck while diving. They've always been there when we get back. OK, old towels and well-worn t-shirts.
We take our money, credit cards and room keys with us diving. We just make sure that our bathing suits and/or BC's have secure pockets. Nobody ever complained about being paid with wet money.

LOL...made me recall handing over a pile of wet bills at Lisa Gas after a dive. My drybox failed. Oh the memories!

Amazon:
LOL...made me recall handing over a pile of wet bills at Lisa Gas after a dive. My drybox failed. Oh the memories!

My glasses and money got wet a few times also. We never had a problem. I have a softsided cooler we left in the truck that i carry my camera in and our mesh gear bags, we didnt have a problem but we took stuff we could lose and not miss it.

Bonaire is a great diving spot and its a pretty relaxed place to hang out. There is theft, but no violence to speak of, unless you argue with the Dutch locals during the world cup, that is. For something different try:
1. Larry's Wildside Diving
2. Sea Kayacking out to Klein Bonaire (be in shape, the wind can be a challenge)
3. The National Park (great place for the last day and non-divers... its beautiful)
While the reef/life is not as great as some other spots I have been, the diving is easy and seemingly endless.

I'd agree with everyone's comments. In regard to accommodations, it depends on what you want. On the water, kitchen, on site restaurant, or on the water and a shared kitchen like the Black Durgon Inn. There are a lot of small places off the water that are clean and affordable. If you go to www.infobonaire.com and click on accommodations, then price range you can narrow your choices down. 5 trips (and leaving for number 6 tomorrow) and no incidents. We do like others and put our keys, any money, and script sunglasses in a drypak and in the bc pocket. Local business owners aren't real crazy about divers going shopping or eating at establishments in a wetsuit half off and tied around the waist (unless of course you are eating at KFC, Whattaburger, Julios, or Bongos ;-). Please let us know what you decide :)

pitri:
Hi all,
My wife and I are going on a 3 weeks vacation and we are always looking for a place where we could combine above and underwater fun. We are not looking for anything fancy and we are not fixed on anyplace specific.

We started looking and I found Bonaire for the diving.
I have some questions and hopfully someone have answers:
1. If I'm coming to the caribian area, is this the best place to dive ?
2. How are the dives there ? what is there to see ? what is the condition of the reef/animals ? (I have been diving in the red sea, thailand, Indonesia if you can compare)
3. I heard of the shore theft problem. Is it still exists ?
4. What are the price ranges of accomodation ? any suggested place ?
5. What is the cheapest way to get there and from where ?
6. What is the cost for diving ?
7. Shore dive or boat dive ?

Wow, too many questions. I will probably get "Bonaire is ok"...:D
Thanks

Are you back now? How did you like Bonaire?

Hey all, just a quick chime in. First there is theft EVERYWHERE in the world. Second, the police force is re-vamping, much more police presence, high standards for trainees and for evaluations on current police officers. All of the people we have spoken with are very happy with the "new and improved" police force. When Ed and I go diving (he has been diving Bonaire 30 years, me 15 and THANK GOD, never broken into dive truck!) this is what we do. 1. leave windows open. 2. leave towel (kind of ratty, but good enough to dry off, etc), 3.I stick a few bills under the seat in a plastic credit card sleeve. 4. Ed takes his keys and hides them under a large piece of coral. I have left my glasses (sun glasses too) in the truck. I really think that this works well. If someone wants to check out a dive truck, believe me they will pass it up if they see the windows wide open.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom