Bonaire Dive Shop Practices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa Flinn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All! Is it common for the Bonaire dive shops to ask for payment in full to secure a reservation? We put together a 2 week dive package for 2 people and emailed to make the reservation. They sent back an email requiring payment in full to confirm the reservation. Its over $2000 and their cancellation policy is "Non Refundable". I have never experienced this with any dive shop I have ever dealt with. What has been your experience on Bonaire?

I have no answers for you but that sounds like an awesome time and I hope you have fun.

Hi All! Is it common for the Bonaire dive shops to ask for payment in full to secure a reservation? We put together a 2 week dive package for 2 people and emailed to make the reservation. They sent back an email requiring payment in full to confirm the reservation. Its over $2000 and their cancellation policy is "Non Refundable". I have never experienced this with any dive shop I have ever dealt with. What has been your experience on Bonaire?
What all are you reserving? I do not know why they would be requesting payment in full unless it's something highly personalized. Something like a private dive guide, or private boat trips, maybe custom gear?

I'm pretty sure the last time we used Dive Friends, five people unlimited shore diving for 12 days they wanted to put a 50% hold on credit card because I wanted to pay cash on island. Can't recall the refund policy.

Sounds a bit hinky to me. I love the trips set up by @cardzard and @ROXANNE which seem to bypass all this drama. Like minded divers enjoying fun and camaraderie.

Who is the op and where are they staying? I would not put down $2k in advance for two divers for two weeks diving in bon refundable or not.

Have always just showed up and booked with the shop in Bonaire we wanted to deal with…and with whom we had a milkman-style drop off tank delivery service set up with. They come by where you are staying and replace your used tanks.

You are going to be likely shore diving and self-directed at the sites, right? Renting a little pickup and have your downloaded Bonaire dive site ebook (or paper) guide? That is your best friend. At least we have always done our own transport and dive planning for the most part. That is what Bonaire excels at in my mind. Used shops for rental gear (in some cases) and tank delivery regime. Maybe two boat dives or guided dives that I recall doing.

If going with an all inclusive situation with housing and dives…well, no experience with that in Bonaire. I think most are independent divers who pick their sites each day based on conditions and interest. 🤷🏻‍♂️

YMMV. Good luck!🍀

PS - Never leave anything in your rental, and keep the windows rolled down while diving! 😊

Refundable 50% aka "hold" has been our experience too.

That seems egregious. Tell them you're only diving one day and pay the deposit. I'd be surprised if they turned you away the rest of the trip. If they do, someone else won't.

It would help to 1) know more about what service(s) you are reserving and 2) the time of year. We live on island and the practices can vary by shop, by service, and by time of year. If your trip is soon and you are making plans on short notice, the no refund policy is not unheard of. If you are booking during high-season, it might be similar but that is now 5-6 mos out.

That seems egregious. Tell them you're only diving one day and pay the deposit. I'd be surprised if they turned you away the rest of the trip. If they do, someone else won't.
That is not always the case. During high season, for some shops, gear, guides, and/or instructors can be booked well in advance.

Back
Top Bottom