What to do with phone while shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
S

schuylerclark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We're headed to Bonaire for the first time in a few weeks and I'm curious what others do with their cellphones while shore diving? Given the advice to not leave valuables in the truck, that means we need to carry one phone with us while diving since I don't see us driving around the island all day without a phone. For those who have been there, how have you typically handled this?

Can't survive a day w/o your phone?

Some of us don't have the option to completely unplug. This Tuesday I completed a dive at the Eagle's Nest, and wasn't even out of my drysuit and was providing support for a client at the picnic table.

If you are that connected to the business, I'd simply go back and forth to the stay location and check. Or, and I have not done this, but doesn't the 'dive truck' have lockable lockers that are break in proof? That would probably be the best solution if it does.

I bring an old iPhone 6 and throw my SIM in it and put it in a ziplock and then a small Pelican style dry case in my BC pocket. No issues yet. Wife carries the key fob in one of those waterproof diver eggs. More than 50 dives with no issue using this setup in Bonaire. I need to be available for phone/texts while away and also use it for GPS, etc. while on island.

I was considering a Sealife, but I went with the DiveVolk today. (TY DirtFish!) I like that it doesn't require batteries and I don't foresee needing to mount it to a photog rig. That - and the price - swayed me. We'll be bringing an old extra phone on the trip as well just in case something happens, since 1 is none and whatnot (hopefully 3 is 3 this trip), but this housing looks pretty bombproof, so I believe it should do the job.

Aaaannd... I found a reservation for Xmas dinner while we're there, so it's been a nice evening of looking forward to the trip. :)

I was considering a Sealife, but I went with the DiveVolk today. (TY DirtFish!) I like that it doesn't require batteries and I don't foresee needing to mount it to a photog rig. That - and the price - swayed me. We'll be bringing an old extra phone on the trip as well just in case something happens, since 1 is none and whatnot (hopefully 3 is 3 this trip), but this housing looks pretty bombproof, so I believe it should do the job.
Be careful with the plastic hinge. Mine cracked at some point. Luckily I spotted it before diving!
I always kept the seal clean, so I'm unsure how it happened, other than too much repeated pressure when opening/closing the door.
I think it's a design flaw, it should just be made of metal or redesigned to be thicker. I also bring a backup phone

Divevolk support said it was my fault for "having debris in the seal". I was out of warranty (by a month, of course) but they offered 50% off my next purchase which I accepted.

Ultimately you won’t be answering calls under the water so you’re just adding 15-30 minutes of “drive back to the hotel” time by leaving it in the safe. I personally feel some withdrawal for the first day and then it feels pretty good to be without a phone :)

While the bigger iPhones and Androids won’t fit in the DRYFOB-XL some have adopted rugged flip phones for travel that they use with a local SIM which do fit comfortably.

FAQ - DRYFOB lists a few.

This is more to have some kind of communicator for emergencies too.

Hope to get back to Bonaire soon ourselves. Such an amazing place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom