• 2 AI computers, SPG

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Other, describe below

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • AI computer, SPG

Votes: 66 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having given up tec diving a few years ago most of my dives are shallow, 25m or less. They tend to follow a similar pattern. I do keep the dciem NDL in my mind and use them with my bottom timer. All my dives now are shore. My buddy uses a none AI computer on p+ setting and I am more conservative than him!
I tend to do two dives, with a generous S Interval and very slow ascent from 6m after the safety stop. I avoid deco now as I get older.

I was definitely slow to adopt air-intergrated computers, having had serial failures back in the early 1990s -- the "millstone," aka, the Oceanic Datamax Pro, the size of a f**king brick, one dud after another; that said, I typically use one nowadays, along with analogue gauges -- for when that demon electronic thing eventually craps out at depth, which it did, the other day.

For the occasional deco dive, I'll carry a second computer in my pocket or clipped to the vest; redundant air; and a dive watch.

I occasionally also use rigs solely with analogue gauges; tables, and a watch . . .

Yes, the conclusion seems to be that SB respondents don't reflect the typical diving population. :D

The number one response is a non-AI computer and a SPG. That is probably the most common configuration used out there. On the other hand, the poll is responded to by SB members, who read the Advanced forum, and are willing to vote. That is a better explanation for the second most common response, an AI computer, a non-AI computer and a SPG :). That was my vote until I bought a Teric last May, to replace my Nitek Q

Where it was zoop and nemo before I swapped to a Perdix non ai, mainly for the visability in caves and because of the normoxic course.
I use a bottom timer as back up, that option isn’t available to choose in the poll.

I could only include 10 responses in the poll. I decided to include the Other, with description to capture votes that did not fall into any of the categories. So you are either Other, or you could have voted non-AI and SPG. There was no way for me to differentiate between hosed and wireless AI, just too many permutations and combinations.

I saw someone once with 2 AI computers and 2 transmitters on a single tank OC rig. Don’t remember if he had an analogue SPG as well.

Surely the number of transmitters is relevant.

Yes, the number of transmitters is directly relevant to redundancy. Last May, I switched my backup from a non-AI Nitek Q to a Teric. I now run my Oceanic VT3 and my Teric off the same transmitter. If my transmitter went out, I would lose AI to both computers. I still have my SPG. As above, there was just no way to include all configurations in the poll.

Thanks to everyone for adding their votes, 373 responses now, that must be up there with the largest SB polls. I thought the 300 responses in the RMV poll was pretty good, go vote there if you have not already done so Average Gas Consumption

I have a computer, a backup depth/timer, and my brain.

I've got a good idea what shape my deco will look like in my head because I'm usually using standard gasses. This means I can check what my computer is telling me isn't nonsense. If the computer fails I can still use the backup depth/timer and my brain. If the computer and the back up fail, I can use my team mate(s) computers/backups/brains. If I've lost my team too I can use the markings on my dSMB line for depth and my gas plan to estimate time.If all that fails then I'm giving up diving and taking up golf.

For rec diving. Orca Edge, Skinny Dipper or Marathon and a analog spg with large easy to read digits.

Casual diving:
(1) non-AI computer
SPG

Extended casual diving:
(2) non-AI computers
SPG

If it gets technical then I am likely to:
Depth gauge
Bottom timer (plus dive watch)
SPG

I always wear a watch and set it for the dive and track it as a cross check to the computers. If the computer fails, I know my last depth, my time, use my sausage for depth for the safety stop(s). Buy new computer afterwards.

James

I haven't posted a summary for over a year, 77 more responses since then. Half of respondents use AI, over a third use a backup computer or backup gas, nearly a quarter use a backup computer and backup gas.

upload_2019-12-7_11-56-56.png

I have a computer, a backup depth/timer, and my brain.

I've got a good idea what shape my deco will look like in my head because I'm usually using standard gasses. This means I can check what my computer is telling me isn't nonsense. If the computer fails I can still use the backup depth/timer and my brain. If the computer and the back up fail, I can use my team mate(s) computers/backups/brains. If I've lost my team too I can use the markings on my dSMB line for depth and my gas plan to estimate time.If all that fails then I'm giving up diving and taking up golf.

No!!!!!!!!

Deep down, my intestines are quivering with the fear of having you take up golf. Even the mere thought of it makes me shake and sweat and nearly cry out with a deep pain and English unquenchable. Not only would I be losing a scuba diving brother, but I could be losing a fellow American. OK, I know you’re not an American, but my family is actually originally from Scotland, so i’d Be losing a fellow man-at-arms. This article shows that golfers experience more injuries per 1000 individuals than water sports, including scuba diving I must assume. Not that I want to veer too far off course, but when your significant other nudges you to start doing something “more safe” (as my wife does every time I go diving or racing) then let him/her read this article and understand that rugby is safer than golf and golf is way more dangerous than Scuba. OK kids, Back to the regular program.

Sports Injury Statistics Suggest: Golf is More Dangerous than Rugby - Golfsupport Blog

Very light deco IS recreational diving, at least according to my certification, which is for rec diving with deco down to 50m maximum, with buddy.
And in my opinion a dive planned for light deco is much safer than a dive planned at the edge of NDL, which can become deco for any minor problem.
Better and safer to plan and organize for a true deco stop, and then switch to NDL, shortening the bottom time, in case of problems.
PS: I use a very simple and cheap Cressi Leonardo computer, and a traditional SPG. My backup is my Seiko 150 Diver watch (timer), a mechanical depth meter attached to the SPG and the US Navy tables.
At my age (61) I usually do not exceed 33 meters (100 feet) and try to avoid mandatory deco stops, but I am always prepared to them, if required.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom