Question The perfect carry on, how do you travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrirulez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I looked for an answer about this topic all over but it seems that this has been discussed a lot regarding recreational scuba, but not so much when talking about technical diving. I read, for many that a solution is always to check in the bc and just rent, but this is not an option.

I am now to a point in my diving where renting equipment is starting to not be a possibility at all (aside from tanks and weights of course) and I am now planning a trip to Bonaire.
I am curious to what you all more experienced and long time tec divers have been coming up with, cause I am struggling to fit my bc, multiple sets of regs, canisters, etc in the carry on. ( Worst come to worst, I would proudly wear my wing across the airport with the rest of the gear clipped to it! Not sure what TSA would think about it)

What do you bring? what do you leave at home ? ( deco regs come to mind for example)

A confused post from a confused diver!

A large suitcase with 50 lbs of stuff and a carryon with regs, computers, electronics, camera, etc.
No way to fit everything I want into a carryon to enjoy a full vacation experience.

Pelican 1510:
(2) SM regs
(1) Sidewinder cans. One with computers inside, one with oxygen regulator inside.
(1) deco reg
(1) suit inflate reg
(1) DSV+Loop Hoses
(1) DiveVolk

Arcteryx 35L Carry-on:
(2) stage/deco regs
(1) Sidewinder counterlung
(1) 20Ah Light Monkey 32VF
(1) 20Ah Heat can
Charger

Half hard sided checked bag:
Harness
Drysuit/wetsuit depending on needs
Fins, mask, reels, spares bag, misc clothes

In your shoes:
Pelican 1510 with 2-3 sets of regs, computers, lights. You could put your wing in a backpack and thread the backplate in as the backpack harness, but if you’re doing any sort of technical diving, you kind of need a checked bag.

Pelican 1510:
(2) SM regs
(1) Sidewinder cans. One with computers inside, one with oxygen regulator inside.
(1) deco reg
(1) suit inflate reg
(1) DSV+Loop Hoses
(1) DiveVolk

Arcteryx 35L Carry-on:
(2) stage/deco regs
(1) Sidewinder counterlung
(1) 20Ah Light Monkey 32VF
(1) 20Ah Heat can
Charger

Half hard sided checked bag:
Harness
Drysuit/wetsuit depending on needs
Fins, mask, reels, spares bag, misc clothes

In your shoes:
Pelican 1510 with 2-3 sets of regs, computers, lights. You could put your wing in a backpack and thread the backplate in as the backpack harness, but if you’re doing any sort of technical diving, you kind of need a checked bag.
Sidemount here as well so not really an option to do the backpack thing but I am starting to see a pattern that a checked bag is needed!

Also....this :
Arcteryx 35L Carry-on is AWSOME!

Carryon has 3 regs, 2 computers, 2 analyzers, 2 primary and 2 bu lights (and chargers), mask, change of clothes, laptop, toiletries, towel, and a change of clothes.

Checked bag has fins, extra mask, BC, clips and bands, reels/spools, exposure protection, hood, cutting devices, tool kit and a few spare hoses, more clothes and another towel.

Sidemount here as well so not really an option to do the backpack thing but I am starting to see a pattern that a checked bag is needed!

Also....this :
Arcteryx 35L Carry-on is AWSOME!
You could squeeze a DECO bladder and harness (or an XDeep Classic etc) into your carryon, but fins and exposure protection probably put you back into checked bag category.

There is no way to fit my fins, BC, and exposure protection into a carry-on at all. I put all my heaviest stuff in carryon to keep my checked bag at 49lbs.

I have one checked bag, one carry-on (overhead), one backpack/personal item (underfoot) --
Checked: BP/wing, masks, fins, DSMB, reels, toiletries, a few clothes, save-a-dive kit
Carry-on: drysuit/undergarments (might wear the thickest top on the plane, it's a 2-piece)
Backpack: XL regulator bag (4 regs, lights w/ batteries, computers), analyzer, spare batteries, chargers, extension cord, USB battery bank, laptop (maybe)

#1 tip: get a CC (or maintain premier status) that allows you to check a bag for free.
#2 tip: try really hard to fly direct (at least on the way there).

Mask(s), Regs, computers, batteries in Carry-on. Everything else gets checked. Not sure how one could even consider tech diving and not renting with only carry on.
My camera gear is also in another carryon that my wife takes, some clothes are stuffed around all the gear for padding.

My rebreather is my carry on. To stealth it down a little put a rain cover on it.
Looks like a hiking backpack.

It will fit in the overhead bin, even with tanks (valves removed). Spend a little extra on the travel (part of that tech diving extra costs). Get early boarding to make sure you get overhead bin. Shop your flights to make sure the plane will have overhead bin space. Some of those little planes can be an issue.

Travel tip if doing a big flight (like Truk), pick one leg of the flight (both ways) as first class. That gets you early boarding on all the legs and usually ups the weight limit for checked luggage on most airlines. Don't need first class all the way (unless non-stop) to get the early boarding and luggage benefits the whole way. Sometimes the first class upgrade can be less than the luggage fees.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom