Do you have a fitness regimen?

Do you regularly engage in a fitness program?

• Yes

Votes: 95 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 18.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I share your observation but don't understand why there is such a propensity to disregard fitness. Although I haven't checked every single diver certifying organization, I know four of them have an entire chapter in their basic instruction manual dedicated to the importance of fitness. Nonetheless, boat after boat has clearly unhealthy people on board. To call it out here on SB risks someone asserting that one is "fat-shaming". Perhaps it's cultural (or temporal) since early photos from the 1950s to 1990s seem to reflect that a more physically fit population was attracted to diving (although smoking was pretty prevalent in the earlier decades).
The general population seems to have been im better shape many years ago..

As for the agency's and dive ops for having worked with some, they talk about physical fitness but can't be to strict. They would loose a lot of potential divers and money. In general, diving accidents are rare so the risk is acceptable and if the accident is caused by fitness then that would be on the diver as he signed the waivers.

Thanks for the reminder to keep in shape ...

Here in South Florida we unfortunately see news of cardiac events from folks that come out on dive vacations every season. Likely out of shape from being cooped up all winter combined with the added stress and anxiety of diving after some time away. When living up north, we used to hear similar stories about folks that would head out to vigorously shovel snow after the first snowfall. I bet none of these folks thought it could happen to them.

I find it tough to get going with a routine, but once I'm a few months into it it becomes something I enjoy, and even miss if I can't get to it. I still have a long way to go to be happy with how I look, but I do feel good about being in shape enough to handle a little extra stress should I encounter an unexpected situation.

An older study funded by DAN showed the steady increase in underwater cardiac events. They call out that certification had some aspects of ensuring fitness, but the certification is for life.

Now there is also a different school of thought :) (Saw this on one of the humor threads here on SB .. haha). Laughing is also healthy

1665069647655.png

Here in South Florida we unfortunately see news of cardiac events from folks that come out on dive vacations every season. Likely out of shape from being cooped up all winter combined with the added stress and anxiety of diving after some time away. When living up north, we used to hear similar stories about folks that would head out to vigorously shovel snow after the first snowfall. I bet none of these folks thought it could happen to them.
The obvious solution is to dive all winter like we do here in the Northwest.

After being in a serious car accident in Cozumel in April, I'm working now on getting back into shape. I am up to walking 2.5 miles in just over an hour, but that is no where near where I want to be. Waiting for one more surgery (next week) and then as I recover I should be able to add cycling back into my routine which will be good.

The obvious solution is to dive all winter like we do here in the Northwest.

After being in a serious car accident in Cozumel in April, I'm working now on getting back into shape. I am up to walking 2.5 miles in just over an hour, but that is no where near where I want to be. Waiting for one more surgery (next week) and then as I recover I should be able to add cycling back into my routine which will be good.

Hope it's a speedy recovery!

I think I have slowly found a routine that works for me, something I've struggled with. I need to add in some more cardio and flexibility focused training but trying to keep the volume and commitment reasonable. Far too often I'd try and do everything all at once, everyday, and of course burn out. Long ways to go, but hey forward progress is forward progress.

As we mature, the mind deteriorates before the body and vice versa. Back in the dark ages, my training program was considered unique; enduring twelve years of cold showers in extreme climates. The first two years were exceedingly difficult. Then there were the two sessions of sprinting up stairs to the roof top of a twenty floor building; pushing a car along a straight, flat road for two miles; running a five-minute mile for 8-miles; and then progressing to running in the mountains. There were moments when I could taste the blood in my lungs. Sleep deprivation; hypothermia, and hyperthermia conditioning; working in temperatures ranging from -10 to 127 degree Fahrenheit. This was only part of the program for selection. I had attained a state of physical and psychological nirvana. Carrying back mounted AL80 doubles and two AL80 stages while waiting several minutes on the transom for the boat to move to the dive site is a true testament to my years of discipline.

Crossfit ~3 times per week. Lots of stretches at home. I can't fathom not being physically active.

Last night I was running at the high school track around 1 AM wearing earbuds. I walked up the hill to my truck and removed them. Then I heard a black bear snorting and growling in a wooded area that bordered the track. Had he found me something worth chasing, I may have found the motivation to increase my speed.

Since I’v been diving I have not come across a lot of fitness oriented divers. I’v had to tow a few divers. Some heavier divers often struggle with overheating and exposure protection…
Fitness has been beneficial form ma as a diver but I get that it’s not for everyone.

I have actually seen a few articles recommend not to train before and after diving to avoid dcs.. so i guess that’s a downside for any fitness fanatic.

Most of the divers I know and my dive buddies are very fitness oriented and actually ramp up the fitness training if there planning a big dive. I for big sub 150m dives for your body we really stress how important our fitness levels, hydration levels, and body temperature management. These are some of the most important pre-dive items to take into account related to you.

Reason is:
The rate at which inert gas is eliminated from body tissue for a given pressure gradient depends upon the solubility and vascularity of the tissues and the efficiency of the lungs. Fat tissue off-gasses much more slowly than lean tissue. Because of its relatively high water content, fat tissue holds a greater quantity of dissolved gasses. This storage problem is further compounded by the tissue’s low vascularity. Cardiovascular training, when combined with a healthy diet, results in an increased ratio of lean tissue to fat tissue in an athlete’s body. The body of a fit diver should off-gas as a system faster than that of an unfit diver. However, a reduction in adipose tissue, or body fat, reduces the amount of natural insulation a diver has, increasing the importance of adequate protection from the water.

Cardiovascular training also increases the efficiency of the lungs through several mechanisms. As the cardiovascular system is overloaded through exercise, the lungs are stimulated to exchange carbon dioxide and oxygen, primarily, at a much faster rate. The body adapts by increasing the vascularity of the lung tissue as well as the surface area of the lungs at the alveoli. Not only is a greater quantity of blood present in the lungs of a fit diver, but the vascular changes also allow a faster rate of gas diffusion for each unit volume of blood. Fortunately, these adaptations are not specific to oxygen or carbon dioxide- a pressure gradient for any gas will result in an increased transfer of that gas from blood to lungs.

Reduced Cost of Free Phase Gas Formation:
Any dive can produce bubbles, whether it be a thirty-minute shallow reef dive or a world record setting deep cave penetration. The size and amount of bubbles formed depend largely upon the amount of dissolved gas and the rate of ascent. Mismatch the rate of ascent for the amount of dissolved gas, and the bubbles set in motion a series of problems, known to divers as Decompression Sickness (DCS). Contrary to popular belief, bubbles are not the only cause of blockages in the circulation. The arterial capillaries are generally large enough to allow the passage of many free phase bubbles. It is believed that the secondary effects of these bubbles cause many of the blockages, or emboli, associated with DCS.

The emboli believed to be associated with DCS result from several sources. The body releases many types of chemicals in response to the vascular insult resulting from bubble formation, and these chemicals reduce the blood supply to the tissues, even without the presence of gas emboli. Additionally, certain proteins involved in the body’s defense against illness may adhere to the bubbles themselves, causing blockages and decreasing the permeability of the bubbles. These proteins not only increase the size of the bubbles, but they also increase the time required to clear the bubbles out of the bloodstream.

Divers must remember that lungs are the first defense against the effects of breathing compressed gas. Their diffusing capacity is much greater than needed at rest. This built-in safety factor is what allows the lungs to act as a very effective bubble filter in the event of free phase gas formation in the bloodstream.

The alveoli are designed to trap both solid and gaseous emboli, preventing them from traveling farther through the circulatory system. Gaseous emboli are eliminated through diffusion, which as described above, is improved through cardiovascular conditioning. Cardiovascular conditioning further increases this safety factor by allowing the lungs to trap a greater quantity of bubbles within their increased surface area and vascularity. Not all emboli are filtered by the lungs, however. Small bubbles can pass through the pulmonary circulation only to collect and form emboli elsewhere in the body. Also, the accumulation of proteins and platelets occur throughout the circulatory system as a result of free phase gas formation. This is where the other vascular effects of cardiovascular conditioning may become so important.

The diameter of blood vessels varies based upon a number of factors, including vascular insult. However, cardiovascular conditioning increases the maximum possible diameter of many existing blood vessels. Thus, an embolus may travel farther downstream before becoming lodged, potentially blocking fewer branches and affecting less tissue. Cardiovascular conditioning increases collateral circulation, which means that a given mass of tissue may have more pathways from which to receive oxygen-rich blood. Thus, if an embolus becomes lodged in one pathway, the tissues of a fit diver may receive more blood than those of an unfit diver via other pathways.

Cardiovascular conditioning also increases the efficiency with which cells utilize the oxygen they receive as the tissues of a fit diver require less oxygen to maintain their base metabolic rate than those of an unfit diver. This is due to an increase in aerobic enzymes contained with in the cells, as well as a few other structural changes to the cells. Therefore, tissues of a fit diver may better survive a reduction in blood supply compared to those of an unfit diver.

Attachments

• Fitness Corner - Cardiovascular Conditioning.doc
    56 KB · Views: 73
Can anybody provide the events and standards for the annual GUE instructor fitness assessment?

Just looking for dispassionate facts, not speculation, jealous criticism or xenophobic conjecture.

It's really, really hard work re-programming our brains to regard food as fuel. Something that helps me is conspicuously posting in the kitchen a printed table from a nutritionist with portions and variety for the week's meals. This along with "fueling" five times a day (rather than the customary three) helps keep me focused on calibrating exercise and nutritional intake.
From a protein metabolism standpoint, the latest research indicates that the customary three meals per day is actually better than five. In order to maximize anabolic effects, you want a large bolus of at least 40 g (with the optimal amino acid mix) during a single meal rather than spreading it out in smaller chunks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom