Do you have a fitness regimen?

Do you regularly engage in a fitness program?

• Yes

Votes: 95 81.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 18.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in South Florida we unfortunately see news of cardiac events from folks that come out on dive vacations every season. Likely out of shape from being cooped up all winter combined with the added stress and anxiety of diving after some time away. When living up north, we used to hear similar stories about folks that would head out to vigorously shovel snow after the first snowfall. I bet none of these folks thought it could happen to them.
Same thing happens in northern California when abalone diving season opens up. A bunch of middle aged, out of shape guys jump into rough, cold water and inevitably someone has a heart attack.

Can anybody provide the events and standards for the annual GUE instructor fitness assessment?

Just looking for dispassionate facts, not speculation, jealous criticism or xenophobic conjecture.
You can find GUE instructor fitness standards here.

In summary it requires the following.
  • A 200-meter/220-yard walk in teaching configuration
  • A weighted carry of 200 meters/220 yards (stage or scooter)
  • Fifty (50) step-ups in teaching configuration
  • 200-meter/220-yard diver tow in gear
  • 550-meter/600-yard swim without stopping
  • 21-meter/70-foot breath-hold swim
  • Maintaining a body/mass index (BMI) of 30 or less (or alternatively body fat less than 20% for men or 30% for women)
All of those items are pretty easy and not a huge challenge. Really any diver ought to be able to pass, regardless of whether they're an instructor or not.

I dig standards-based organizations.

Sat down on my rower this morning for a 5k warm up before getting on to my main workout.

RHR was 57bpm. Two deep breaths and sank it to 52bpm. Quite happy about that.

Main workout was on the TRX suspension system.

Side planks from the forearm with TRX are bomber for frog kicking as well as regular leg spreaders from the push up position. Leg spreaders from the forearm don’t give the posterior chain near as much activation. Putting some angle on the straps provides additional resistance (IOW, don’t start leg spreaders with the feet directly under the TRX anchor poibt).

Alternatively, leg spreaders with a resistance band while laying on one’s side are also very beneficial.

Separately, going to add fins to my vee sits to provide a functional increase to the load on my anterior chain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom