• 2 AI computers, SPG

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Other, describe below

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • AI computer, SPG

Votes: 66 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @Hoag

I have been diving an Oceanic AI VT3, a Geo2 or a Dive Rite Nitek Q, and an SPG for about 8 1/2 years. I have only needed any kind of backup for 6 dives/3 days, all my fault. I let my VT3 battery go dead after a period of nonuse, I let my transmitter battery go dead once, and I forgot to transfer my transmitter to a different reg set once. I have improved my battery habits.
In my case, the display on my PP3 went blank at 108ft. The only reason I know the depth was because I was able to read it off of my dive watch. It failed right at the beginning of the first dive of the day and the boat was right above me so getting back to the boat was super easy once I made sure that my buddy was paired up with someone.

I am a firm believer in having a Plan B but until that dive, I didn't have one for my dive computer.

I use a AI w/linked transmitter but also use a small spg. I have actually lost the link (only once thankfully) so was glad to have the backup obviously

Recreational diver here, Ive got a Geo on my wrist & a SPG, with a depth gauge and cheap watch as backup.

I rarely make more than 2 dives a day or dive consecutive days (wife is a non-diver, so I sneak in dives where I can), so I don't feel a great need for a back up computer.

After nearly 50 years I did my first dives with a computer this month. My answer would be: Tables, Timer/Depth Gauge, SPG and Computer. At this time the computer is just there to verify what I already knew. Maybe with time I will learn to trust having a piece of electronics in salt water, under a lot of pressure. I use a watch and a bottom timer--the bottom timer is in case I forget to set the watch :wink: I have had zero failures with SPGs and Depth Gauges and Dive Watches so I have grown to trust them.

95% of my dives are extremely shallow--maybe 30'. So I use option 1--tables, dive watch, depth gauge, SPG. Even with 2 dives in a day I would probably never need to look at the tables. Just do it because I have OCD (and PADI told me to in 2005). And, I don't have to worry about a more expensive DC flooding or getting scratched, lost, etc. and having to rinse yet another item afterwords. But, I checked "other" because on my rare deep dives I do add the DC. Still usually look at the watch for bottom time (out of habit), but the computer for depth instead of the SPG. That combination wasn't a voting option. Most of my deeper dives are still square profiles, but on the very rare occasion I do a truly multi level deep dive I look at the DC only.
Of course, still wear the watch....
Possible other poll---How many here (still?) know the PADI table limits by memory?...……..

Possible other poll---How many here (still?) know the PADI table limits by memory?...……..

Or the DCIEM table limits ? :)

I learned to use the 120 Rule, so it's pretty easy. It's not as conservative as computers or tables but I've never felt tired after a dive. In nearly thirty years of being certified I've never made more than three dives in a day, so I don't concern myself too much with residual nitrogen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom