• 2 AI computers, SPG

Votes: 19 3.3%
  • Other, describe below

Votes: 14 2.4%
  • AI computer, SPG

Votes: 66 11.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For normal dives I use a non AI computer and a spg.
On a liveaboard I use 2 non AI computers so I don’t have to skip some dives if one breaks down.
When I do deco dives (its max 15 minutes) I also use the 2 computers.

AI computer, analog gauge console backup, and high quality auto-wind dive watch,

I use 2 non AI computers, spg's, and a set of tables on my wrist slate.

Lobo

Was diving with an old Oceanic Worldwide VT3, with A.I. Wanted an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt (also A.I.). Took the SDI Solo Diver course; 2 computers recommended. Dove with both. The Cobalt basically died on the last dive of a Caymans live-aboard trip; Atomic Aquatics gave me a Cobalt 2 refurb. at no charge (go, A.A.!). So I do wrist 'puck' and console, and may prefer either depending on what I'm doing.

On my 3rd from last dive in Cozumel in September, got a bizarro reading the Cobalt 2; from my log entry:

----------
Don’t know what went wrong with the Cobalt 2 computer; it listed max. depth 2101 and average depth 44 feet. MacDive, with Cobalt2 downloaded data, listed max. depth 2105.98 and average depth 43.21 feet. I’ve never even been 140 feet deep salt water! The Oceanic VT 3 gave max. depth 59.81 and average depth 44.40 feet. So I’m changing the max. depth in MacDive for this dive to 59.81 feet.
----------

But on my Caymans live-aboard trip, dive 21 of 25, the VT3 gave me a badly off reading; starting PSI 10, ending 0 (neither was true). But had I not had the VT3 logging my dives, I would've lost all 25 dive's worth of log data when the Cobalt crapped out.

So I dive 2 A.I. computers, both of which on separate single occasions gave me a way off data reading in the log, then went back to apparently working normally, and one died (likely a pressure-related failure) which would've cost me my computer log of all 25 dives that trip...if I hadn't had a backup.

Richard.

Spg for backgas (and stages), computer in gauge mode on wrist (which also has a compas). (Sometimes I will use a extra Suunto compas on my wrist.)

When using my dpv also a compas and computer in gauge mode mounted on my dpv.

Planning: minimum deco, pragmatic deco, ideco on iPhone, decoplanner on laptop, ssi nitrox table, self made tables and/or experience.

(In my wetnotes there are also tables of gas usage, deco tables and profiles of dives.)

My ideal setup for easy rec diving is 1 AI computer, no SPG, long primary, SS (whatever you say; it works), bailout pony with button gauge.

Rarely get to do it that way, but that's the way I prefer it. Redundancy is redundant when you have two ways to handle any risk already. I specifically exclude "technically not technical" extremes like cold blue water diving from "easy rec".

Wireless Suunto AI on wrist, connected Aqualung AI on HP hose. Regularly compare the two to make sure nothing funky is going on.

Just one computer, no AI, if I went on a once in a lifetime dive trip I probablely would pick up another for backup.

Bob

I DIVE WITH FLOW CHARTS

Is the lobster bag full yet?
...................|
.................NO
...................|
.........Keep diving !!
...................|
...................|
How many sharks now?
...................|
...........Less than 4