How do you afford this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work 2 jobs, I do Cat Scans at our local trauma center m-th (10hr shifts) and work every other weekend at a small rural hospital. (20hrs) I have given up some luxuries in order to get all my equipment paid for and to help pay for 1 big dive trip each year. Due to the economy, I am trying to get my credit card paid off completely just in case my part-time job goes away. I am lucky to live along the southeast coast, so I have the luxury of diving alot more because I don't have to fly to alot of good dive sites.

Carolyn:shark2:

It looks like all these responses are similar in a lot of ways. I'll add my 2 psi anyway:

1. I'm not poor. My job as a machinist/tooling technician puts me right at the median income for my local area. I think my current career situation is a combination of luck, effort and good choices. I've certainly made a lot of bad choices, too, but I guess they must not have been all that terrible or else I wouldn't be where I am today. Or maybe that's where the luck comes in.

2. Our expenses are low, besides SCUBA. We (hardly ever) drive a $1000 car (I bicycle to work). We have no cable, a 17" TV, a ten-year-old computer, no cell phones, no pets, no kids, minimal insurance, and a way-too-small-for-two-people house that is rented, not owned, and always cold in winter. We only go out on special occasions, or maybe another way to look at it is, when we go out, it's a special occasion. We get our clothes, furnishings, dishes, etc. from the thrift store.

3. While we have been able to take a few trips, it's starting to look like this year we'll either not go, or just go snorkeling. At any rate, we don't get to take the great trips nearly as often as we'd like. But I can understand how it looks to someone who's never been yet. I remember what it was like before I ever took any overseas trips; it was hard to imagine me being able to do that myself. Over time, I was actually able to either save the money or get the credit to be able to go overseas, and now I guess I've done it five or six times. Still, every year I get to a point where I wonder if I'll ever be able to afford it again.

4. Most of our diving is local. While we are climbing out from under the debt of buying all our gear, at least now that we have the whole kit it only costs $13 for two fills for both of us to have a one-dive day (plus maybe $5 in gasoline).

5. Like many others have said, it's all about choices. There are a lot of other things, like guitars, motorcycles, restaurant meals, music CDs, etc. that, every day, I choose to go without so I can dive. I'd really love to have a car that was quiet enough to have a civil conversation in at highway speeds, a fretless bass and amp, and a Buell XB12. But if I had those things I couldn't also have my own steel cylinder and custom-fit drysuit. Also choices like renting a dump close to work instead of buying a nice house out in the suburbs, or moving to an area close to good year-round diving. Staying in school would have been a good choice, but I didn't do that one. I bet I'd have a rebreather by now if I had my engineering degree, though.

Anyway, your post really reminded me of those days before I ever did or had any of this stuff, and I can relate to the feeling that some things are out of reach. Don't give up, though! I'm glad I didn't, and sometimes it's hard for me to believe I've done and seen some of the stuff I have. And I still often wonder if I'll be able to do it again. What's really cool is how, if you want something bad enough, you find ways to make it happen. Just don't give up on your dreams because they seem too far away.

Seems all the posts boil down to "I set priorities". No one here has mentioned being rich (and I doubt anyone currently diving is poor), but mostly working/middle class people who give up other non-necessities to go diving. Diving itself isn't much worse than other activities everyday people do (golf, skiing, etc.), so it's all really about setting priorities.

Some can't do anything (can only afford the necessities, or less), some can do whatever they want, most can find money for diving if they make some other small sacrifices.

It took time. My husband and I lost 2/3 of our total income when he was laid off. I am a teacher... We moved around the world for a chance to pay our bills. Our lives now are very different. As a contractor, hubby makes 6 figures. As a teacher here, I make twice what I made at home. We suddenly have lots of income, and no bills. So, we put in the money and time and have managed to buy all gear plus redundant gear, and reach our instructor status.

With all of this, we still would have trouble diving as much as we like. Teaching diving helps and we can dive when we like because our lds owners give that to us as a perk for working for them. Our two children can dive for free also. We take weekend trips to the Red Sea and the Phillipines. Life is good. We added up what we would have spent on a year's diving and it was over 14,000 us. Granted we paid for training, but now we share our love of diving with new people and dive all the time. I am now running the shop. It is great experience, as we want to open a boat charter/dive shop when we retire. It will be a lifestyle, not a lot of money, but a Lot of fun. Until then, we sacrifice and prioritize like everyone else.

I'm a teacher but I'm lucky that I live in Florida. Yes, the initial outlay for the basic equipment wasn't cheap but, I managed. Lot's of folks tried to talk me into trips to exotic locations but I figured that, while I'm sure that I'd enjoy it, once the trip was over, poof, it's gone but for memories. I decided to invest in a dive kayak instead. Sure, it probably cost me as much as a short trip would have but it doesn't disappear. I have it to use over & over on local shore dives. Three bucks for an air fill & gas money for the truck & I'm diving every weekend! Again, I am lucky enough to live in Florida.

In my case I dove for many years in 2nd hand gear and just dove locally.

It's really a matter of priorities. My wife and I have a reasonable combined income and we both like to travel so we don't live extravagantly and try to save what money that doesn't get sunk into maintaining our house and paying for children into our vacations. (btw, if you think DIVING is expensive, man.... try having KIDS!!!)

Another thing that helps these days is being an instructor. There isn't much money in being an instructor but it does keep my net costs down to basically nothing.

R..

I run a hedge fund that has consistently returned 10-12% to investors for decades. Since I never lose money, more and more investors line up every year to send me their savings. This allows me to live lavishly, travel freely, and purchase just about anything I want. Of course, not just anybody can invest with me--only special people. If you think you're pretty special, join my country club and we'll talk about letting you in on the easy money--but hurry; before you know it, it might be too late.:wink:

Yep as everyone else said Priorities.... do without some stuff to get to do what you really want. You work hard to get debts paid down and do without till you are in a position to do more of what you want.

We are also lucky to have awesome dive sites an hour's drive from home. We focus on taking advantage of those. Exotic trips..... well we had 4 years of serious nose to the grindstone between PNG and Lady Elliot Island.

We don't upgrade gear... replace what we wear out. I still use the Sony cybershot sans attachments we bought for the PNG trip.

Just enjoy diving where you are and don't worry about the fancy stuff till you are in a reasonable position for it.

Last edited:
i'm filthy rich... my family owns a few hundred oil wells in dubai, we built the palm islands as a joke, and we have a fleet of pleasure yachts and private jets...

now that i've slapped myself back to reality:

I'm a teacher at a local university - although it pays higher than anyone else in the local education biz it's still a teacher's pay w/c adds up to practically nothing in this day and age...

I also live in a country that's on the bullcrap end of the exchange rate w/c means that gear that might be inexpensive to you is x50 to me... :banghead:

i've been lucky with my gear - i won some nice fins on the internet, saved up for some of the small things (mask, booties, etc) and earned the big-ticket stuff doing specialized work for dive operations (bp/w, reg, dive comp)

i also own 2nd hand camera gear: hand-me-down canon A620 from the wife, housing from midwestdiver, strobe arms from hammerhead... bought the cheapest-ass strobe out there (a nano)

so if anyone knows any arab sheik who wants some companionship - i put out on the first date... but it's gonna cost...

Jag

We both have jobs that pay decent salaries and do not have any debts except for the mortgage.
Ditto.

Even so, we don't take many diving trips to exotic locations. We did buy drysuits though to do more (cost-efficient) local diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom