How do you afford this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$30,000 in motocycles,,,,cant complain much about a couple thou in diving equipment.Hope to retire soon and move to Florida,that will cut travel expenses,be a greeter at walmart to make a few bucks to pay charters for awhile til I learn more about the area...do yall have jobs in florida like we do here in memphis? Stand on the side of the road with a sign that says "i;m broke and too lazy to work"?

I got involved with a local dive shop and help with their classes. When the ow dives come up, I get free air to dive with the class. Granted, it is just a quarry that I have seen hundreds of times, but it doesn't cost me anything other than fuel cost to get there. All in all, I enjoy getting the experience and dive time. One day, when I can afford to dive somewhere pretty, I will. Enjoy what you can, when you can.:wink:

SCUBA, like many other recreational sports is expensive. Most have already said it - priorities, priorities, priorities.

Although my wife doesn't dive my son does so I pay triple. My son is just out of college and trying to get on his feet so I support his diving habit. Anytime I go diving, my wife goes shopping so I support her habit as well. When you don't smoke, drink in moderation, don't go bar hopping, and generally lead a boring life style, you can save for vacations and diving.

We also try to book our vacations (usually one a year) to someplace where both the diving members of the family and the nondiving member of the family can have fun.

Exotic vacations are great, but we do a lot of local diving as well. Yes, it mostly green water diving, but it's still diving. My son & I also volunteer at the Virginia Aquarium. It's shallowing confined space diving, but we get to dive, work on basic skills, hand feed the fish, and make faces at the guests. Most of all.... it's diving!

Don't save your money invest it... Even in our current economic troubles, the market has to bounce back sometime :).... Theoretically, government expenditure on investment in infrastructure should increase our GDP and since we're currently experiencing deflation, we should all be making more money provided you're not laid off. And I mean we just roll off debt to our offspring right? Taxes for "our" bracket should be cut and if you're wealthy, I'm assuming you can afford it anyways. Do you think the Gov't would ever bail out the Scuba Industry? I forget whether I was being sarcastic or not. Grotesque is the best word I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom