How do you afford this sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a self employed salesman and work out of my home and therefore have no commuting expenses and very low overhead. My wife is a high school teacher and works just 5 minutes away. We're fortunate to make decent money and don't spend a lot in our daily living. Diving is the one thing we splurge on. Even then, we don't stay at the best places when we travel, usually budget to middle of the road.

most Caribbean trips can be done for well under $2,000 (If you really work at it, sometimes for not much more than $1,000)

Very true. I just got back from my first dive trip to San Andres island. I stayed at a nice resort, did 11 dives, and spend about $1500usd on the week. There are cheaper places than that to go as well.

Just remember:

When your outgo exceeds your income,
Your overhead will be your downfall.

My kids are grown and on their own. My house and cars are paid for. My wife is retired. I work as a full time paid fireman.

I am a member of a national incident management team and fight fires all summer long. I can be gone up to 21 days at a time. Last summer California has over 1,400 wildland fires going at one time. We were busy. I use my "fire money" to support my playing. We also have a Harley and tour on it.

We also own two timeshares and use those weeks to plan our trips around.

I'm planning on mugging that fat man that comes down my chimney every year.. If I can stay awake:D

I am a high school teacher in Florida, therefore I do not make a make a ton of money. I have noticed quite a few teachers on here, so I think the time off during summers works to our advantage.

Here is what has worked for me:

1. Somehow a beach bum/dive bum lifestyle chose me. I tried to fight it for many years, but finally gave in to the pressure.

2. I moved to South Florida so I could dive like I wanted to when I wanted. Best choice I have ever made.

3. After 15+ years of diving I became an instructor, and this has really opened doors for me. I work for a great LDS where most of the money I earn teaching/leading trips funds my boat, fishing, and dive addiction. I dive, fish, and spearfish almost every weekend while getting paid. How nice is that? Of course there is a catch- I am teaching when I dive. It is a ton of work to have a class in which I am proud.

4. I have been able to get paid to travel to the most remote corners of the world such the Solomon Islands and Kandavu, Fiji to dive. Of course there is a catch: I had to haul a number of high school kids with me :D.

5. This is also very important. I live very simply. I do not have kids. I do not have a wife, but do have a girlfriend. Our relationship is complex as she travels a ton too.

6. I havent really announced it yet, but I have taken a GREAT job overseas next year. The money will be even better than what I earn in the US, and it will open diving and fishing doors that would never be an option for someone like me- a teacher once from Indiana. Again, there is always a catch. I am leaving everything behind to live in the third world and it scares me to death (in a good way).

So I guess it really comes down to sacrifice. 90% of the world simply cannot have it both ways- normal life and diving like crazy life. I decided to go with the travel and diving. Diving several times a month in the coral triangle with state-of-the-art gear is now an option for me, but I have given up a ton to get there. As of today I am 100% certain I have chosen a life that I love, but who knows once I grow old? My best friends from home have babies, families, and perfect little houses. I have a passport full of stamps, incredible memories, and a life full of adventure. For me this works... for now.

Move somewhere where the diving is great. Then it gets a lot cheaper.

4dwfw61.jpg

+
handgun.jpg

+
Union%20Bank%20Main%20Bank.jpg

=
rebreather5.jpg

:D
:p

My husband and I are both engineers, so we make a decent living, but definitely not enough to retire at the age of 25 or anything (darn!). The initial investment of diving is fairly expensive, but once you've obtained all the gear you need (and if you can keep yourself from wanting something new or cool all the time), the sport isn't all that expensive anymore.

We bought all the equipment we need with cash, starting with the essentials (bp/w, regs, computers), moving on to the not quite as essential items (like tanks), and finally to the items that are nice to have but not completely necessary (drysuit, can light, camera). We worked with local shops when we could get good deals (especially if they're willing to do the "you pay cash and I won't charge tax" thing)....I bought my drysuit for an unbelievable price through ebay....then I got a killer price on a brand new "used" can light. If you look out and wait for good deals, you can usually get great gear for fairly inexpensive. Start with the essentials, move on to the things you'd really like but aren't necessary essential, and then finish with the items that you'd LOVE to have but can't quite justify the purchases until all your other items have been obtained.

Now that we have the gear, we dive locally....a few dollars to get tanks filled, a few dollars to drive to the site, and then hours of fun underwater. We don't need exotic trips, or even local boat trips for the most part....but it makes it really special when once a year we go somewhere tropical, or every other month we hop on a dive charter.

Initial investment = fairly expensive....diving after the investment has been made = fairly cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom