How do specialty C-Cards work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox isn't the only reason why you might need to show a specialty card. Drysuit rental, ice diving equipment rental, scooter rental, and other such things may require you to show a card too.

No doubt there are situations that require certain cards, such as Nitrox. I have a Nitrox card myself. The card proves I got the training, but Enriched Air is not the same as say,, Boat Specialty.

Many of us do dives from boats. But you don't need to take a specialty course to learn how to get off and on a boat---and use proper etiquite while on the boat. If you get into Photography you don't need a card to be able to take pictures. You don't need a card to go on night dives.

Get my drift? These are a couple of examples of dives you just do. You just learn by doing in many cases. Paying good money to get a piece of plastic is just not necessary.

Peak performance bouyancy is a good example. Pay the shop for the book, read the book and do the reviews, jump in a pool for a couple dives. You aren't going to get it. The only way to get good at bouancy is to jump into the water and work it out. The more you do it the more you relax and the better your bouyancy gets. And it does take time. So how did paying for it help?

I should mention that I'm talking about most of the Specialties listed under PADI recreational diving guidelines. I saw mention of cave and cavern diving and a couple others. These are not common speicalties. They lean more toward technical diving. This stuff does require proper training.

Many of us do dives from boats. But you don't need to take a specialty course to learn how to get off and on a boat---and use proper etiquite while on the boat. If you get into Photography you don't need a card to be able to take pictures. You don't need a card to go on night dives.Get my drift? These are a couple of examples of dives you just do. You just learn by doing in many cases. Paying good money to get a piece of plastic is just not necessary.
Oh, I quite agree. I only "believe in" getting privilege cards - that is - cards, once obtained, allow you to gain some privilege that you probably otherwise would not have. All of the other ones - underwater naturalist, underwater photographer, underwater garage collector - whatever - are things you can learn on your own (or with a book, or whatever), without paying for some class, let alone needing a plastic card to prove...."something".

I'm with you on that score - no doubt.

The only class I am planning to take at this point is the solo diver class - and again, it's so I can get the card that will allow me to do something I probably couldn't do otherwise (when out on a boat). Otherwise, I wouldn't bother. After THAT class - I can't see myself taking anything else, unless I get it for free or nearly free (considering the dives that such a class probably comes with), or unless I get interested in something that requires a privilege card of some kind.

I read somewhere on here that PADI is or is going to start offering a "Dive Computer" specialty. Unreal. I would think the manual that goes with the computer would tell you the same thing if not more.

I read somewhere on here that PADI is or is going to start offering a "Dive Computer" specialty. Unreal. I would think the manual that goes with the computer would tell you the same thing if not more.

SSI has this course already! I don't know anybody who has done this though.

I wouldnt think you could be master anything by taking a course like this. I heard the phrase Put Another Doillar In thrown around a couple of times and I am starting to believe it more and more. Being new to SCUBA it is amazing how little you actually have to know to be certified to teach others. All in all I would think a good and reputable shop would not let you teach but I guess they are out there.

SSI has this course already! I don't know anybody who has done this though.

Didn't know that. I can't remember who it was I talked to on SB but if I remember correctly some guy actually sat in on the first/development course for PADI for this specialty. It really doesn't matter to me what courses people take. You can't have too much knowledge when it comes to diving but I just think these agencies need to give people their monies worth when they spend their hard earned dollars.

I purchased one of those zipper log books during my OW certifications and I personally have found it useful for other reasons besides keeping cards and log sheets in it.

The dive charts I got for my Nitrox specialty course are larger than the air dive charts, thus I have them loose in the binder. Also there is an elastic pocket in front which I keep my DAN card and a copy of my insurance card and emergency contact information all together. In addition I keep loose paperwork in there for receipts on upcoming boat reservations and other travel plans.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but I find it convenient to keep all my diving stuff all in one place inside my diving bag.
John

I purchased one of those zipper log books during my OW certifications and I personally have found it useful for other reasons besides keeping cards and log sheets in it.

The dive charts I got for my Nitrox specialty course are larger than the air dive charts, thus I have them loose in the binder. Also there is an elastic pocket in front which I keep my DAN card and a copy of my insurance card and emergency contact information all together. In addition I keep loose paperwork in there for receipts on upcoming boat reservations and other travel plans.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but I find it convenient to keep all my diving stuff all in one place inside my diving bag.
John

Agreed. I use mine for much the same thing. But then I also have made my own log pages that list what I want to log (some additions, some subtractions from the PADI pages). Other things I keep in the log book: tables, logs of the last few dozen dives, pen, pencil, computer battery and changing tool ...

I've seen the pages for the cards the OP mentions, but I have no use for that.

Don't worry about carrying your specialty cards. The only two that you'll ever have to show are your basic diving c-card, OW, AOW or Rescue, and your Nitrox card if planning to buy nitrox fills.

None of the other speicalty cards open any doors, (except the technical cards such as cave), so you might as well leave them home. Once I got too creative and decided to travel with only my Nitrox card, to keep my wallet thinner. I ended up spending too much time explaining to a dive operators employee that a Nitrox card implied that I also had at least OW, so now I always carry both cards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom