How do specialty C-Cards work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only cards I've had to show have been my cavern/cave card (I only show cavern unless I absolutely have to show basic to dive doubles), and ONE time my nitrox card.

Card collecting is fun if you have the time and money. And you can learn some good stuff too. Just be sure to accompany this with lots of simple "pleasure" dives for experience.

The card a dive operator is MOST interested in, is your credit card.

I just used a single hole punch and punched holes in my cards, and then put them on one of the rings in my logbook. There ARE cards that are handy to have with you -- AOW, Nitrox, dry suit and I've heard some operators want a night dive card, although I've never run into it. And for me, my helium and cave cards are sometimes necessary.

Show off :D

Specialty cards can be very useful ... I use mine to remove the o-rings from my dry glove cuffs ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I just used a single hole punch and punched holes in my cards, and then put them on one of the rings in my logbook.

What a great idea, may sound stupid but I never thought of this. Way off topic here but I know working at a night club if someone comes in with an ID and there is a hole punch in it or it is "disrupted from it's natural form" I can not accept it. I assume this doesnt apply to C-Cards?

But bet you'd accept a $100 bill with a hole punched in it, if someone wanted to give you one.

In today's day and age anything with money attached to it will be accepted regardless of policy.:wink:

Forget most of the specialties unless you just like throwing money at a shop to get a piece of plastic back.

You should g forward with your Advanced Open Water (AOW). For this you'll most likely have to do the classroom work and three specialties. These often being DEEP, Night, and Navigation. It varies somewhat with each instructor, but count on the deep dive. Complete this and you'll get an AOW card.

What else do you need? Well, think about it. Most places you go you'll routinely do BOAT dives, NIGHT dives, DEEP dives, and a lot of the other "Specialty" dives. If you do them as a matter of routine you'll learn what you need to. Why be in a hurry to give money away to do what you do anyway.

For one example, if you go on a trip and boat dives are scheduled you will not be excluded just because you don't have the BOAT specialty card. Same can be said for a lot of the other ones. Even Peak Performance Bouyancy. Want to larn about Bouyancy? Jump in the water and learn.

Things I would do? Nitrox is good. So is Rescue diver. In other words, pick wisely.

Couldn't have said it better myself! After OW, AOW, and Rescue I don't see the need for all the cards unless you start diving Nitrox and then I think you are required to take that course. Like bfisher said, jump in the water and learn and best of all it doesn't cost you a thing.

Of course if you don't mind spending the money/time and just like the look of all those cards in some type of pouch or fancy log book, then by all means go for it.

Nitrox isn't the only reason why you might need to show a specialty card. Drysuit rental, ice diving equipment rental, scooter rental, and other such things may require you to show a card too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom