How do specialty C-Cards work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAlmightyHubbard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Right now I am only Basic Open Water certified but say I were to take nitrox, deep diver, wreck diver, etc. Will I get an additional card for each course, or is it somehow marked on my base (OW, AOW, MSD) card?

The reason I am asking is I am looking for a better dive log and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get the zipper up ones that have card slots and accessory pockets.

You get cards for each one from what ever agency you decide to take the course from. You could have cards from several different agencies if you decided to get your training from various places.

You'll receive a card for each specialty that you do. Typically you may only have to carry/show your highest open water cert (OW, AOW, Master Diver), and only need to show a specialty card if specifically asked for it (Nitrox is the only one I can really think of anybody asking for though).

Forget most of the specialties unless you just like throwing money at a shop to get a piece of plastic back.

You should g forward with your Advanced Open Water (AOW). For this you'll most likely have to do the classroom work and three specialties. These often being DEEP, Night, and Navigation. It varies somewhat with each instructor, but count on the deep dive. Complete this and you'll get an AOW card.

What else do you need? Well, think about it. Most places you go you'll routinely do BOAT dives, NIGHT dives, DEEP dives, and a lot of the other "Specialty" dives. If you do them as a matter of routine you'll learn what you need to. Why be in a hurry to give money away to do what you do anyway.

For one example, if you go on a trip and boat dives are scheduled you will not be excluded just because you don't have the BOAT specialty card. Same can be said for a lot of the other ones. Even Peak Performance Bouyancy. Want to larn about Bouyancy? Jump in the water and learn.

Things I would do? Nitrox is good. So is Rescue diver. In other words, pick wisely.

If its PADI you get a new card for every speciality.

As for a card holder, forget it. Leave them at home. There really is no need to carry the damn things around.

Unfortunately PADI will just send you a new card for every specialty, however logical most people think it would be for them to put it on one card. But the thing about most PADI specialties is, they tend to be relatively lightweight. They expose you to some knowledge and skills, but with a few exceptions are either in areas no one will care you took a course, or not in depth enough that they're considered qualifications for anything. So no point in hauling the cards around. (And in many cases lots of folks would say not worth taking the course.)

So generally the only specialty card you need to carry around is Nitrox, which you'll usually need to get a Nitrox fill. Or if you had a drysuit card and were renting a drysuit you might need that. (You can actually order a card that lists Nitrox on the same card as OW, AOW, or Rescue, but it's like $30 extra. They won't just send you one instead of a regular card.)

Big fancy logs and binders are sold simply because if they make them someone will buy them and they can make more profit on them. A new diver is more likely to think they look like a good idea and they will probably change their mind after awhile. I wouldn't buy one, certainly not to carry around cards you don't need. You'll probably find that it just has even more room for stuff you don't care about logging and maybe still none for stuff you do. And if you ever plan to travel you won't want to haul it along.

Right now I am only Basic Open Water certified but say I were to take nitrox, deep diver, wreck diver, etc. Will I get an additional card for each course, or is it somehow marked on my base (OW, AOW, MSD) card?

The reason I am asking is I am looking for a better dive log and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get the zipper up ones that have card slots and accessory pockets.

When I did specialty courses for my AOW with SSI, I got stickers that stuck on to my OW card, then when I had four specialties I got a AOW card with them listed so never got individual cards. The LDS has ordered me another diving card now which will have my AOW specialties + Rescue on it (I think that is what it says anyway, they said I can come pick it up but I forgot about it until I saw this post :p).

I carry one around with me in my wallet case I need to show it, and leave the rest at home as backup in case I lose the main one. If I got individual cards I would leave them at home too, no need to carry them around. So yea I don't think you need to bother with the fancy dive log with pockets. Just carry one card (the highest one you have in case you need it for charters) or two cards if you have a Nitrox cert (so you can get fills - some places ask for a Nitrox card).

I just used a single hole punch and punched holes in my cards, and then put them on one of the rings in my logbook. There ARE cards that are handy to have with you -- AOW, Nitrox, dry suit and I've heard some operators want a night dive card, although I've never run into it. And for me, my helium and cave cards are sometimes necessary.

Great. Thanks alot for the help guys!

I definitely intend to do my Nitrox and Advanced once I return from deployment, or get back to Palm Beach, FL on R&R. From there I may do Rescue and work my way to Master. I appreciate the heads up on the actual specialty courses. :)

Great. Thanks alot for the help guys!

I definitely intend to do my Nitrox and Advanced once I return from deployment, or get back to Palm Beach, FL on R&R. From there I may do Rescue and work my way to Master. I appreciate the heads up on the actual specialty courses. :)

Good luck! I found Rescue a lot of fun in particular. :)

Back
Top Bottom