How deep/how long on mCCR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkromelow

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have just finished my KISS conversion (started almost a year ago, using Gordon's latest valve) of my Dolphin and am starting my tests in the water tomorrow. I have survived the couch!

I am interested in everyones current experience about depths and durations they feel
comfortable with their converted units. How deep and how long? Are
there conditions or circumstances you don't dive your conversion?
Ideas on using it or not using it in an overhead (wrecks/caves)
environment? What has been your experience on dive boats with your
unit?

All feedback appreciated. If you have specific questions about my conversion, ask.

Hi jkromelow, I have many hrs on semiclosed Dolphins, but not on a CCR dolphin and I now dive a Prism. But I have dived a lot with other CCR Dolphin divers. As long as your 1st stage is set up properly to provide the right flow/interstage pressure at the deeper depths, I see no reason why you would be limited by depth considerations other than your scubber duration, gas supply and bailout. I was very impressed with the CCR dolphin conversions I encountered down in PNG. They all had a variable needle orafice that could be dialed to whatever flow rate was needed for the depth. The guys I dived with had gotten to where they almost never needed to inject extra O2 above the needle valve rate and only had to adjust the needle valve 2 or 3 times during the dive. They used very small cylinders(I think they were 8 cuft with the new Apollo 1 pc tank valve/1st stage) that fit snuggly in either side of the stock Dolphin long weight pockets on the sides of the harness, with a bailout cylinder where the Dolphin main nitox tank goes on the bottom. Very Ingenious and cheap! I would suggest you post these questions on the Diveoz rebreather forum, you'll probably get more info there. Most of the guys I dived with were from there and from what I gather this is a very popular conversion in Oz. Good luck-Andy

jkromelow:
I have just finished my KISS conversion (started almost a year ago, using Gordon's latest valve) of my Dolphin and am starting my tests in the water tomorrow. I have survived the couch!

I am interested in everyones current experience about depths and durations they feel
comfortable with their converted units. How deep and how long? Are
there conditions or circumstances you don't dive your conversion?
Ideas on using it or not using it in an overhead (wrecks/caves)
environment? What has been your experience on dive boats with your
unit?

All feedback appreciated. If you have specific questions about my conversion, ask.

I have been diving a converted dolphin for a little over a year now. Unconverted for a year or so before that. Yesterday I did an hour+ mostly at around 95ft used 400psi dil and 500psi O2 from my steel 20cuft tanks. I have taken my unit to 150fsw quite comfortably and the only limitation is if I have enough bailout to complete my deco.
The only thing keeping me from going deeper is my po2 monitor (home made) keeps leaking and I also own a oxygauge but I am afraid to take it below 150fsw because they are known to leak at depth. I also use an explorer as my secondary po2 monitor. Once I get the leaks fixed I plan to go much deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom