How are the Skeeters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pidge - I brought back the OFF Clip on last year and it didn't seem to work at all!

Thanks for posting Christi..I was planning on buying one today. Now I'm gonna try finding the cream.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2013 at 04:24 AM ----------

Christi...I called OFF and spoke with one of their reps. She said they only make OFF Botanical Cream which only lasts 2 hours max. I was wondering if you might have been suggesting a cream made by another manufacturer? I've even been checking into clothing sprays. Apparently, these are long lasting..even with multiple washes. Maybe the combo of a skin spray and clothing spray would be the way to go. I also found out that DEET does not decompose, so you can use it even after the expiration date(if there even is one on the can). The only thing you need to be concerned about is the other ingredients in some of the sprays that might loose their effectiveness.
I wouldn't be so concerned about this topic if I wasn't such a mosquito magnet..but I really don't want to ruin my vacation ending up in the hospital.
Thanks for your help..and I'm still doing research. If I come up with anything useful, I'll post it.

I was at Mega this a.m. They are COMPLETELY sold out of mosquito repellent to apply to your body...which is fine because that wasn't what I was looking for. They DID have the stuff you plug into the wall which I WAS looking for and which has been pretty effective for me in the past. Also the coils you light outside which I was ALSO looking for. So I am good to go. Apparently the town began to spray in the past 24 hours and I see a marked decrease from the skeeter numbers when I got here a couple of days ago. I went to bed last night (marinated in bug spray) and woke up without a bite. The night before I was approaching about 10. I don't know how things are outside town however, so I would come loaded for bear if I were you.

I was at Mega this a.m. They are COMPLETELY sold out of mosquito repellent to apply to your body...which is fine because that wasn't what I was looking for. They DID have the stuff you plug into the wall which I WAS looking for and which has been pretty effective for me in the past. Also the coils you light outside which I was ALSO looking for. So I am good to go. Apparently the town began to spray in the past 24 hours and I see a marked decrease from the skeeter numbers when I got here a couple of days ago. I went to bed last night (marinated in bug spray) and woke up without a bite. The night before I was approaching about 10. I don't know how things are outside town however, so I would come loaded for bear if I were you.

Good idea..I'm gonna look into some plug ins to take,too. Not sure about the coils..unless I could somehow make them into earrings..haha. At this rate I'm not gonna have room for my clothes and gear !!!!!! LOL

When I was there in May a couple of the restaurants we went to were burning those coils. While I am eating I think I would rather have the bugs.

Oh c'mon, what's a little DEET in your dessert? :D Personally I will take the DEET!
Ps they were fogging again tonight when I went out for supper!

When I was there in May a couple of the restaurants we went to were burning those coils. While I am eating I think I would rather have the bugs.

Oh c'mon, what's a little DEET in your dessert? :D Personally I will take the DEET!
It's not that I am afraid of the DEET, it's that the smell of those burning coil things while I am eating makes everything taste like them. It's the same reason I won't stay in a restaurant where there are cigar smokers.

It's not that I am afraid of the DEET, it's that the smell of those burning coil things while I am eating makes everything taste like them. It's the same reason I won't stay in a restaurant where there are cigar smokers.
I hate to say it, but your post almost makes me want to know what it's like to smoke a burning coil mosquito thing. I can imagine a smooth Yucatan tobacco mingled with lemony citronella, excellent with a Santo Tomas Blanc de Blanc chilled to exactly 54 degrees. And no mosquito bites. Win win!

I hate to say it, but your post almost makes me want to know what it's like to smoke a burning coil mosquito thing. I can imagine a smooth Yucatan tobacco mingled with lemony citronella, excellent with a Santo Tomas Blanc de Blanc chilled to exactly 54 degrees. And no mosquito bites. Win win!

Go buy a coil and try it at home so you'll know what it's like before you go to that Mexican restaurant !! :D

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 02:54 AM ----------

Looks like they are fogging frequently in the town to keep up with the mosquitos. Have you heard if they are doing this at the southern hotels..like the Iberostar? Also, the Iberostar has a lot of bats that come out at night, so hopefully they will fill up on the darn mosquitos !! And Mossman..I know you are gonna have something to say about the bats at the Iberostar..so bring it on !! :rofl3:

25% DEET spray (Off Deep Woods), 30% DEET cream, DEET wipes, and the stuff to spray on clothes. Hope that covers it, I really don't want dengue. My hangovers are bad enough!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom