How are the Skeeters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pidge------I'm not sure why you think it would be so hard to find Autan?........check Chedraui and Mega and if you bomb there, check the farmacias......Farmacia Dori would surely have it and closer to the waterfront, check the American Pharmacy........but I bet they all sell it.

Lucky you that you didn't get the streaks!.........my friend was seriously colorful after her lime dripping incident (I wasn't there and so I'm not sure why she obviously kept missing the bottle!!!).......her legs looked like the results of some kind of accident scars. (I admit though, that it did occur to me that spreading that lime juice evenly could be a lot safer than a tanning bed!..........but probably not.......hahha)

Autan is great but I haven't seen it in the stores or pharmacy for 2 years now. Anybody seen it lately. It is made by a sub of Johnson&Johnson but not sold in the states because of ingredients. My wife was swearing at me more than usual when I couldn't find it last Oct. and in Feb.

Did get a pharmacy tech on Cozumel tell me a very thin coating of VICK'S Vapor Rub on the legs and ankles keeps the no seeums away! You can put sunblock over it. Wife would not try it, she used USA OFF and still got bit. I tried it and got no bites even when we ate on the beach one night. No scratching on the plane ride home for me!
The ingredients in Autan - Icaridin are not prohibited in the US. I suspect that Johnson Wax just hasn't introduced it more so because of marketing decisions.

There several sites for the brand, they seem to offer various products under the name, so contents may well vary. It seems that Autan may contain DEET or Icaridin depending on the package & country. I think their Icaridin products are more common. Claims to be available in Europe, Indonesia, Russia, Ukraine, Brazil and Central America. See Autan®: Gently Keeps Bugs Away | SC Johnson Brands

If you want Icaridin, it's certainly available in the US under it's alternate name Picaridine. See Icaridin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cutter Advanced Insect Repellent is package with Picaridine, but as with all brand names of any products, check contents for actual ingredients and strengths as companies often change the latter under the same brand names. Lots more choices containing the same active ingredient as Autan. See...
LOL- and why didn't I know DD would quote Wikipedia?
It's a source. There's hearsay, and there are other sources... :idk:

Last edited:
Actually staying in the jungle is probably less dengue likely. You gotta get hit by an infected house mossie. The big black jungle ones that carried away a nephew of mine from Caleta are safe. I mean from dengue. The carrying off people and the severe blood loss from mossies the size of a vw is a totally different story.

@ Bet..I was reading the previous posts where people said it was hard to find..as in not around for 2 years...so I thought it was hard to find. We stay at the Iberostar, so I rarely get to town since it's a $40.00 cab ride. That's why I was hoping someone would know for sure where to get it so I don't have to walk all over town.
DD..I will check your info out about the J&J products here in the US and see what a come up with. I've tried Cutter Advanced products and Deep Wood Off without good results though. One trip I came home covered in bites..some the size of quarters and half dollars.Believe me when I say...I'll take the spots/stripes over the bites/itching anyday(although I have yet to experience the spots so maybe I would feel differently). When you going back to Coz DD ?

---------- Post added May 15th, 2013 at 02:07 PM ----------

Actually staying in the jungle is probably less dengue likely.

Well, at something positive is going my way !! Iberostar it is then.:blinking:

We spray on Repel Lemon Eucalyptus before leaving the room and carry a couple Skin So Soft Picaridin towelettes with us. Works for us.

Remember to be careful in the room. Remember the ones with the dengue hang out in low wind locations, like your shower or under a restaurant table.

Reading a lot of moaning from people in Coz re: hordes of mosquitoes showing up after all the recent June rain. It has been suggested that travelers make sure and pack/bring their own repellent as they are running low in the stores...
:shocked2:

Who's used one of those OFF clip on 12 hours repellants? Does it work well in Coz? I'm considering taking one of those and plenty of refills..as well as spray. Me no want da dengue :(

Deep Woods seems to work good right now. Tried several OFF products to no avail....I changed a womans flat tire on the east side a few days ago and probably had 30 bites (from mosquitoes) in a couple minutes. Felt like I was an Indy Pit Crew member changing that tire!

Back
Top Bottom