How are the Skeeters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rorhound

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those of you who are in Coz at the moment, how are the mosquitoes? Thick? Not too bad? bringing the stuff with us but just wondering.

I work on the waterfront/water, and haven't noticed them at all during the day. At night I am back in town and haven't noticed them there either. Not sure about the beach front after dark. Sorry I can't help more.

no rain = no bugs. It has not rained for months.

no rain = no bugs. It has not rained for months.
I hope that holds for a while. My trip last year coincided with a rare May monsoon event where it rained every day, sometimes all day long. I'll be there in 11 days hoping for less of that this time.

I read about a local expat that got dengue recently. The bad kind. Use some spray for the sneaky little house skeeters that carries it.

Of course the big ones that will carry your car off on the east side at dusk are safe from dengue, I believe.

I read about a local expat that got dengue recently. The bad kind. Use some spray for the sneaky little house skeeters that carries it.

Of course the big ones that will carry your car off on the east side at dusk are safe from dengue, I believe.
Judy had a bad case of it there. I generally forget to spray, and they really don't care for me anyway, but it is a good idea. Only take one infected lady skeeter.

Not very bad right now but we should expect more soon. Not all have Dengue but a few do. Stay in close to town and it is no problem as they control mosquitos, but you should not worry anywhere if you use 40% deet and stay from the beach at night.

Dave Dillehay
Here for 20 years and NO dengue.

You don't have to worry about the big, jungle mossies hanging around on the beaches and stuff, right? I understood the one that get you denuge are sensitive to wind and such and are more likely hiding in your shower or the like? I also thought in town was the more likely the spot to get them as they have to hit someone with dengue before giving it to someone else? Or am I wrong?

In my experience, one of the worst times to get bit (esp on bare legs under the table) is sitting in an outdoor restaurant or bar - in town as well as at the shoreline - at about happy hour and beyond. I'm talking regular mosquitoes here. It's my understanding the dengue ones are out during the day....

My best defense has evolved to using Autan spray and creme, found in any pharmacy on the island.

Back
Top Bottom