How are the Skeeters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience, one of the worst times to get bit (esp on bare legs under the table) is sitting in an outdoor restaurant or bar - in town as well as at the shoreline - at about happy hour and beyond. I'm talking regular mosquitoes here. It's my understanding the dengue ones are out during the day....

My best defense has evolved to using Autan spray and creme, found in any pharmacy on the island.

yup, got attacked on my ankles while eating at The Money Bar.

My best defense has evolved to using Autan spray and creme, found in any pharmacy on the island.

Autan is great but I haven't seen it in the stores or pharmacy for 2 years now. Anybody seen it lately. It is made by a sub of Johnson&Johnson but not sold in the states because of ingredients. My wife was swearing at me more than usual when I couldn't find it last Oct. and in Feb.

Did get a pharmacy tech on Cozumel tell me a very thin coating of VICK'S Vapor Rub on the legs and ankles keeps the no seeums away! You can put sunblock over it. Wife would not try it, she used USA OFF and still got bit. I tried it and got no bites even when we ate on the beach one night. No scratching on the plane ride home for me!

As I visit the island in summer plus the skeeters just love my pheromones or something, I am acutely interested in repellent that works. I also try to avoid toxic stuff on my skin. I've tried many things including citronella oil, Cactus Juice (a brand) and dryer sheets in my pocket (don't laugh). Loudives, that you haven't found Autan in Coz lately is concerning... I'll be there in Sept and will def be on the lookout. I bought Autan creme and spray a couple years ago and have been bringing it with me as I still had some. I may have bought it in Playa, I can't remember. It's my understanding that the active ingredient in it is safer (less toxic) than DEET... I was told by a European friend that DEET is banned in Europe but Autan is not.

Then last summer I got bit by something that swelled my foot up. From talking to others I figured out it was the Tabano fly. You don't see them or hear them, just feel their sharp sting... ouch! Got a couple more bites on my legs including one at the Caleta on my hip. They are out during the day.

Tabano - DSCF4681c | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Autan is great but I haven't seen it in the stores or pharmacy for 2 years now. Anybody seen it lately. It is made by a sub of Johnson&Johnson but not sold in the states because of ingredients. My wife was swearing at me more than usual when I couldn't find it last Oct. and in Feb.

I've heard the dryer sheets myth many times. I can find severe warnings about the chemicals involved too. I won't even use them in the dryer.

Your fly is among the Horse Fly group. Those can hurt I know, and I guess you have a reaction - or maybe it was a different fly called by the same name locally. Scaptia lata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mosquitos love me..I swear it's because of my Rh- blood... anyway I was told by a bartender to use lime..so I smear lime juice all over exposed areas and believe it or not, it works for me. Considering the fact that I stay at the Iberostar in the middle of the jungle( like an idiot), I think that's pretty good...so if you happen to forget to apply your creme or spray, grab a lime(lemon) and start squeezing. It's not 100%, but it not only cuts down on the bites, but helps relieve the itching,too. I'm interested in the Autan creme, so if anyone finds it, please post that info.

Pidgiepoo-------I guess to each his/her own but your lime idea reminded me of a friend of mine who was "blotched with streaks" for months.......and I do mean months! She thought something had caused it in the water, but soon realized she was dripping lime juice down her legs at the bar she spent the afternoon at (in the sun). I figure no one would believe me so I googled and got this.......see below and YMMV.
[h=1]Watch out for lime juice or you could get 'Mexican beer dermatitis'[/h]Beware of the lime slice, if you're a big fan of Mexican beers or a bartender serving them. That beer and the juice of an accompanying lime could create a potent combination for your skin called "Mexican beer dermatitis."
Dermatologist Dr. Scott Flugman, of Huntington Hospital in New York, reported in the Archives of Dermatology that a substance in lime juice — if left on the skin and exposed to the sun — can cause the skin to discolor as if you've been stung by a jellyfish.

What's worse: The marks can linger for months.
The condition is often seen in bartenders who work outside, as well as boaters and beachgoers who are using limes in their Mexican beers or mixed drinks.
If the lime juice sprays on your skin that's exposed to sunlight, the area will first appear red before turning brown.
But it doesn't look like a tan, said Dr. Philip Shenefelt, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of South Florida's medical school.
"Initially, it's red like a sunburn and then it turns brown, but it's blotchy and persists for a number of months," he said.
While the condition is probably seen only in the summer months in northern states, dermatologists in states such as Florida and California are more likely to see the condition year round, Shenefelt said.
"It's not uncommon," Shenefelt said. "We see it often in people who have beers with limes or mixed drinks out on boats" where they don't wash off and are exposed to sunlight for hours afterward.
The blotches can appear anywhere on the body — any place someone has touched their skin after having handled limes or lime juice.
The substance in limes that discolors the skin is called psoralen. It's also found in lemons and marigolds, but in lesser concentrations — so it's less likely to stain your skin.
To avoid the telltale spots, immediately wash lime juice off your hands or skin when it's exposed to sunlight, Shenefelt said. And stay out of the sun afterward

thanks Bet for the info noone ever told me the side effects of using lime..and so far it hasn't happened to me....or at least that I've noticed....looks like I've been lucky ! Gonna quit recommending things !! But, I'd almost rather have the blotches than the multiple bites and itching(maybe)... LOL. I'm still interested in the Autan creme if someone finds where to purchase it....as long as it doesn't cause blotches :D

---------- Post added May 15th, 2013 at 09:38 AM ----------

Hey Kat and cv..now ya know why I don't sit at the bar and drink all day..wouldn't want to get lime poisoning and go home all "blotchy" from tequilla shots :rofl3:

LOL- and why didn't I know DD would quote Wikipedia ?????? hahaha Thanks for the info Don...I'm gonna watch closely when we go this August. Maybe by then someone will have found the evasive Autan creme and I won't have to worry about streaks and/or brown spots

"The blotches can appear anywhere on the body — any place someone has touched their skin after having handled limes or lime juice."
Hum..maybe I haven't been checking the right places :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom