Hose length for Rec only diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off I apologize for the thread drift. The thread is about hose length and it developed into what some think is safe or unsafe.

I have done some checking and even stopped by a dive shop during lunch today. Donned a set of kit with a long 7 foot hose. Not a back plate but a high end BC, Shop tech showed me how most wear it, which turned out just like described in this thread. I was ok with it until it went around the back of my neck. I might try this sometime, but I already feel that it is not comfortable to me. However for cave, overhead cover, wreck penetration I can see the almost need to do it that way.

I still feel that starting any dive sharing air for whatever reason except training in a controled situation is improper. If on my boat I would sit out the dive and give the person my tank and let them do the dive while I remained topside. It is my way of thinking, but that does not make either decision right or wrong, just different.

I thank those that explained things for making me a little bit smarter this last couple days. I look forward to reading and learning more from here in addition to time blowing bubbles.

I was ok with it until it went around the back of my neck. I might try this sometime, but I already feel that it is not comfortable to me.

Were you in the water, horizontal, wearing a wet/drysuit... or were you in the shop, standing vertical, wearing street clothes?

"Much to learn do you have, young Scubawalker."

YodaDir.jpg

Last edited:
But kudos to Diver43 for actually checking it out in person, even if half-arsedly, and opening his mind to it. I would say that even in a suit, in the water horizontally, it may not feel completely natural the first time. Part of it may be psychological--even though it may not be physically uncomfortable, you KNOW it's there and it's suspiciously different from what you're used to. But after just a few dives, you could almost forget it's there.

I have done some checking and even stopped by a dive shop during lunch today. Donned a set of kit with a long 7 foot hose. Not a back plate but a high end BC, Shop tech showed me how most wear it, which turned out just like described in this thread. I was ok with it until it went around the back of my neck.

It doesn't go around the back of your neck, it goes around the back of your head, there really is a big difference. Since the hose is attached to the regulator, and the regulator is in your mouth, and your mouth is in your head.....well, you get the idea.

But, lets play a little 'what if' and say someone grabs it out of your mouth, like OOA/panicked divers are likely to do. (at least in as much as any panicking diver's behavior would be predictable) You simply dip your chin down and the hose can slip right over your head. As a bonus, when you dip your chin down, what's waiting for you just a few inches from your mouth? Your bungied alternate 2nd stage, which you could now put in your mouth without even using your hands, although that takes a bit of practice.

The hogarthian guys really got this one right.

...The hogarthian guys really got this one right.

Yep.

I'm an "old school", pre-BC, pre-octo, buddy-breathing-taught sport diver (so in other words, I'm a grey-haired diver).

After lots of experimentation over the past several years that ranged from variations on the "conventional" recreational rig, to a 40" under the arm with a "swivel", to 5' Hogarthian, I have finally found "dive Nirvana" with a 6' hose.

It is the most comfortable "rig" I've ever used, and I was so pleased with it that (without asking first, which is exceedingly brave when dealing with my wife) I converted my wife's rig to the same configuration.

Yep. The Hogarthian guys were right.

There are a variety of gear configurations that will "work"... but this is the best one I've tried so far. It has no downsides that out weigh the advantages.

Best wishes.

EDIT: And yes, I'm using the 6' hose and a snorkel in my avatar pic (you need to look closely, and be sure to admire the wonderful -109 2nd stage I'm using :D).... all GUE/DIR divers may now feel free go into severe convulsions, while mumbling "what a stroke"... but I've not had any issues donating the long hose while wearing that particular Riffe free diving snorkel, it does not snag. The hose simply brushes past it, no problem. You mileage will certainly vary with other snorkels... :wink:

The hogarthian guys really got this one right.

I couldn't agree more. In a unplanned vacation dive, I am willing to dive jacket BC, split fins, the last thing I am willing to give up is long hose donatable+bungee backup.

I couldn't agree more. In a unplanned vacation dive, I am willing to dive jacket BC, split fins, the last thing I am willing to give up is long hose donatable+bungee backup.

A long hose may be difficult with a jacket BC, since the D-rings and so forth aren't always where you expect them to be. But I totally agree with you, halocline and LeadTurn. I started down the road to DIR by first adopting the long-hose configuration and attempting to dive with that for a while in my jacket BC as a sort of transitional phase. I soon made the leap to a BP/W. It's interesting that so many divers on SB are attracted by the BP/W discussions and decide to use a BP/W before they consider using the long-hose configuration. In my mind, the long-hose configuration is the more critical factor in my diving than the choice of BC type. I know this isn't the DIR forum, but I have become convinced that the all-or-nothing approach of the DIR system is beneficial. The BP/W, the long hose, the training to donate the long hose and switch to the bungeed backup and ascend while remaining stable and in trim, etc.--all go together in a symbiotic system. Picking and choosing from among the various options (e.g., hose lengths) may work if one wants to take the time to experiment, but simply adopting the whole DIR system worked well for me. I can't thank the cave divers enough for helping me make my recreational diving so easy and safe. Okay, I'll skulk back to the DIR forum now.

How did you route the hose?
Pictures?

At that time, the first "long hose" I attempted to use was 5 feet. I routed it under the right arm, as people commonly do with a hose of that length (and from the arm, the rest of the routing was the standard across-the-chest and behind-the-head). But as I mentioned many posts ago in this thread, I felt that a 5-ft rubber hose without any kind of swivel or elbow tended to pull away from my mouth uncomfortably. After I switched to a BP/W, I jumped in with both feet so to speak and switched to the "standard" 7-ft hose.

How did you route the hose?
Pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Route the same way, just stuff the long hose into cumberbun/waist. Once settle, you don't feel any different. You can still deploy the long hose as easily. It just makes restow the long hose a little difficult underwater. I did this in warm water, so it was not that bad. I can imagine in cold water thick gloves, you have to reach in the jacket and stuff the hose in will be more difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom