Hose length for Rec only diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly, if that was the dive plan and all contingencies were planned for then so be it.

Diver43
I welcome you to one of my classes or any other DIR agency and see why (not just single file exits) a long hose is preferable.
I'll be honest, I taught PADI for well over ten years as well as SDI, once I saw the light I was a convert.

My statement was aimed toward Colliam7. Now that I have returned home and eaten dinner and relaxing with a coffee, I feel even stronger against starting and doing a dive sharing air. Do what you wish, but in my mind doing that air shared dive was wrong and dangerous. Posting it on a public forum even more so. I hope a brand new diver doesn't attempt the same and find him/herself in trouble then putting two people in danger.

My statement was aimed toward Colliam7. Now that I have returned home and eaten dinner and relaxing with a coffee, I feel even stronger against starting and doing a dive sharing air. Do what you wish, but in my mind doing that air shared dive was wrong and dangerous. Posting it on a public forum even more so. I hope a brand new diver doesn't attempt the same and find him/herself in trouble then putting two people in danger.

Nice to know you have opinions about the long hose and planned air sharing despite having no experience with either. :shakehead:

If you ever do have an emergency air share, and you are using an Air2 and a primary 2nd on a short (standard) hose, your opinions might change. :wink:

As they say, opinions are like youknowwhats, everyone has one.
Mine happens to be that doing a dive sharing air from start to finish is dangerous.

Regarding the long hose, just maybe I need to do more research.

Mine happens to be that doing a dive sharing air from start to finish is dangerous.

I'm not advocating the idea, but it would be interesting to understand in what specific way(s) you believe this to be dangerous.

I'm not advocating the idea, but it would be interesting to understand in what specific way(s) you believe this to be dangerous.

If two divers are sharing one tank for a dive, where is the back up?

If two divers are sharing one tank for a dive, where is the back up?

That's not what was happening. One diver had about 500 PSI of gas which is an acceptable reserve. If two divers were really doing a dive sharing one tank only then I would agree with you that it's not safe.

It might be true when you do something like boat dive in Cozumel with other unknown divers.
20 divers jumping to the water, descending 100 ft, dive 15-20 minutes and started to ascend.
Yes, here every unplanned gas sharing mean to call a dive.
But if you dive with your regular buddy, you understand each other and you PLAN your dive, gas sharing may be part of the plan.
Before I had double certification, but my buddy already had, I took HP120, he AL80 doubles and when I had about 750 psi I switched to his long hose.
Obviously it was second part of the dive and was not so deep. We also had 750 psi in my tank in case issue with doubles.
We continued dive till his 500 psi, I switched back to mine and we ascend.
Where do you see dangerous here ?
Because of long hose we were fully functioned and were able to see nice corals and fishes and not only each other.

Just had a great dive sharing air most of the way. We had fun, it was safe, it was my fault for believing the gal at the fill station. I would do it again.

Where do you see dangerous here ?

Because if a true OOA emergency pops up, you're now left to decide which diver to ignore.

It also blows your dive plan since your RMV is now double, and it deprives your buddy of a "learning experience" that would prevent this in the future.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 07:27 AM ----------

One diver had about 500 PSI of gas which is an acceptable reserve.

Acceptable for what?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom