Hose length for Rec only diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once the recreational dive agencies come to their senses and start teaching with the long hose/bungied alternate (don't hold your breath on that one) maybe some gear companies will start offering as standard items long hoses of various lengths. I could see 4" increments from 5' to 6' and then a 7' option all being good sellers. This would allow divers of all sizes to find a long hose that routs perfectly across the chest without having to tuck a loop of excess length in the waist belt.

This was the same journey my wife took. We both took GUE Fundies, and I went with a full kit changeover right afterward. But my wife didn't want to give up her Zeagle but liked the long hose. After a couple trips, she went to a BP/W and now she loves it. She recently went to a 5' hose for open water rec dives.

A long hose may be difficult with a jacket BC, since the D-rings and so forth aren't always where you expect them to be. But I totally agree with you, halocline and LeadTurn. I started down the road to DIR by first adopting the long-hose configuration and attempting to dive with that for a while in my jacket BC as a sort of transitional phase. I soon made the leap to a BP/W. It's interesting that so many divers on SB are attracted by the BP/W discussions and decide to use a BP/W before they consider using the long-hose configuration. In my mind, the long-hose configuration is the more critical factor in my diving than the choice of BC type. I know this isn't the DIR forum, but I have become convinced that the all-or-nothing approach of the DIR system is beneficial. The BP/W, the long hose, the training to donate the long hose and switch to the bungeed backup and ascend while remaining stable and in trim, etc.--all go together in a symbiotic system. Picking and choosing from among the various options (e.g., hose lengths) may work if one wants to take the time to experiment, but simply adopting the whole DIR system worked well for me. I can't thank the cave divers enough for helping me make my recreational diving so easy and safe. Okay, I'll skulk back to the DIR forum now.

Once the recreational dive agencies come to their senses and start teaching with the long hose/bungied alternate (don't hold your breath on that one) maybe some gear companies will start offering as standard items long hoses of various lengths. I could see 4" increments from 5' to 6' and then a 7' option all being good sellers. This would allow divers of all sizes to find a long hose that routs perfectly across the chest without having to tuck a loop of excess length in the waist belt.

For gear manufactures, the problem is snorkle sales will be drop to nearly zero, especially those very expansive and very profitable ultra dray snorkles.

This was the same journey my wife took. We both took GUE Fundies, and I went with a full kit changeover right afterward. But my wife didn't want to give up her Zeagle but liked the long hose. After a couple trips, she went to a BP/W and now she loves it. She recently went to a 5' hose for open water rec dives.

Don't tell me she had a Zeagle Zena--if so, then we live in parallel universes. My wife's (previously)-beloved Zena is currently for sale. She uses a 7-ft hose, though, which fits her 5'10" frame well.

Close to parallel, but not quite. She had a Zeagle Lazer (female version of the Stiletto). My wife's Lazer is for sale too!

Don't tell me she had a Zeagle Zena--if so, then we live in parallel universes. My wife's (previously)-beloved Zena is currently for sale. She uses a 7-ft hose, though, which fits her 5'10" frame well.

Too funny, the only way I could get my wife to give up her Zena was to get her a Pink Halcyon BP/W, harness and pockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A short update to my thread: I have dived my first couple of dives with the BP/W and used a 40" hose. I love the set up. I had a chance to practise an OOA with an instructor as we waited for the queue to board the boat again and had no issues at all with the 40". In fact, it may have pushed me a little away from the 7' hoses unless I do someday move into enclosed spaces. I wouldn't want another diver who was relying on my air source to be much further away than the 40" allowed.
Now to focus on the octo!

Really? Where is there a problem in teaching using a long hose or a bungied octo? Many divers use this so would it not be better if the instructor taught long a long hose,a bungied octo as well as standard octo configuration, this way better preparing the diver to meet the real world. I am not sure of any standard that says you cannot teach these configurations. Many divers use the Alternate-Inflator Type octo (SS1, Octo-Z , Airsource etc) The principle in deploying this system is the same as using a long hose and most certainly a bungie configuration where the supplying diver provides the OOA diver by offering the reg from their mouth and then going to the bungie or alternate-inflator for thier air supply. I mean like really teach or at worst introduce all types of octo configurations.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I am not aware of the agencies imposing any such limitations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom