Honest opinions on equipment that won't break the bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My quick tips would be:
  • don't buy anything right away, rent and borrow for a while
  • when you know what you want to get, try eBay first - a small scratch is a big saving
  • if you can't find it on eBay, try leisurepro.com (check "used gear" first)
  • the one exception I make to rules 2 and 3 is for wetsuits, but maybe that is just me
  • if/when you get a computer, I suggest getting a cheap one first, and wait a while before getting a fancy one (if you get a fancy one at all)
  • scuba divers tend to be hugely brand loyal, so don't expect many honest opinions that are worth anything
  • never buy "the latest thing"; to quote a pilot friend: better to be in a plane that has crossed the Atlantic 200 times than on a maiden voyage. Lots of new products do not become successes

I just went through the same thing, and through all of my extensive research I decided on a few items that would be my "standard buys" if I didn't find great deals on other things:

Sherwood BCs
Sherwood Brut Regulator
Suunto Cobra Computer

From every review I read, every suggestion I got from a friend, etc, these were the items that I saw used as rental gear in the most places, reviewed as indestructible and reliable, etc.

Coincidentally I didn't end up buying any of these items myself as I got an incredible deal on some slightly higher end stuff, but if I were to lose all my gear tomorrow this is the stuff I'd look at to replace it.

FYI -- I have no loyalty to these items, they're the ones I found to have the highest over-all ratings, reviews, and cheapest prices while being the most reliable over time. Just passing on the fruits of my labor.

Back
Top Bottom