Honest opinions on equipment that won't break the bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Be sure to check online for some good deals. True, you should ensure ALL gear fits properly but, this doesn't apply to everything. Tanks, weights, etc. Scuba.com and Leisurepro.com are two very good websites and I have used them both.

True, you should ensure ALL gear fits properly but, this doesn't apply to everything.

So it's true for ALL gear, but that doesn't apply to EVERYTHING.

Got it!

:shocked2:

The guy who runs my local dive shop can't stop saying "Ca-Ching!" every time I stop by.

A retailer who tries to sell stuff to customers who come into his store?

:shocked2:

What has the world come to!!!!

While some gear is okay to get used - fins, snorkel, BCD - it doesn't make sense for other gear.

Please do expand on this piece of advice.

Other than condom catheters, SeaCure mouthpieces, and mask defog I can't really think of any gear that "doesn't make sense" to buy used.

:idk:

Buying used gear can be a great bargain, but you always have to add in the cost of having the stuff serviced. It costs me about $100 or a little more to get a regulator serviced, so a used one has to be a really good buy.

OTOH, I can both test and service a BC myself, that's a different story.

A computer with a locally replaceable battery is probably a good buy used, if you have recourse should it prove not to work at all. (Most of them, you can at least fire up and play with on land to be sure some part of it works.)

Don't buy a BC that doesn't fit you, just because it's cheap. And I would highly, highly recommend a BC with some kind of rigid support for the tank (like the plastic plates in the SeaQuest Balances) over one with no rigid part. It makes me so sad to see students and new divers unable to keep the tank on their back, because it slews around so in ill-fitting, soft jackets.

IPlease, I'm looking for honest opinions on equipment that won't break the bank.

I'm wondering what would constitute an honest opinion ? If I told you something, would you just run out and buy it ? Not to come across as short/rude here, but your questions, while legitimate/good, are overly broad and you need to perhaps simply check out all the relevent gear subforums here, i.e., look at the regulator section and read up all the reg opinions, etc., trust me, you'll find an insane quantity of posts on pretty much anything scuba related.

Also, just wondering about 'won't break the bank' ? As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we have no idea how big your 'bank' is, a discussion here is very inefficient without reviewing your gear budget.

Additionally, we have no idea about your dive goals (and you may not have any idea now either) the point being gear requirements for 'tech' diving are more demanding/more expensive than for 'recreational' diving, and unfortunately you can't expect to run with the big dogs unless you have a budget to match, for all we know, you don't even have enough budget to play with to even be in the running to participate in certain types of diving or distant/expensive travel diving.

Run, run as fast as you can and don't look back if you do not want to break the bank.:D
This sport is highly addictive and costly. It is not as bad as boating (Break Out Another Thousand), but close.

Many will advise you to buy what they have. They will give very specific brands and models. While it may or may not be good gear, it is going to be biased.

You can get by with lower cost gear at times. However, this is highly dependent on your location and dive environment. For example, I can get by with an el-cheapo 3mm wetsuit for my warm water diving. But put me in cold water and the el-cheapo 7mm suites are freakin cold and worthwhile to pay 2X the cost for some extra warmth. I have modest regulators which suit me (temperate and warm water diving <100ft) but would be limiting to others who are more aggressive divers.

Until you have some dives and a firm idea on where you plan on diving the next 5 years, it is hard to make these decisions.

So go slow on the purchases. Consider where you will be diving, water temp, depth, etc...

Can I get an Amen, Brother!

I have just started my lessons and share your exact concerns. Now, they may reflect a completely amateurish and short sighted mind set, but, regardless, they ARE our concerns. I appreciate all those above who have responded helpfully and usefully.

Number one message I receive from the above is: rent for a while. Was planning to do this and it's good to see the idea validated.

Another message that speaks directly to me is, there are people who have bought used and weren't sorry. Yes, we must shop carefully. But generally I'm of the opinion that used gear differs from new gear usually a) cosmetically and b) only because it was previously paid for by someone else.

Thanks for starting the thread. Please let me know how your shopping goes, I'll be interested. Any other new divers that creatively "economized" (I do hate to use that word because the trolls seem to feed on it) are encouraged to speak up too.

I would avoid any shop that would try to sell me a snorkel for $60.00. before you invest to much money in gear get a some dives under your belt and try to determine the "type" of diving you will be doing.ie tech, travel, warm, cold, deep, ect. it is also a good idea to visit other shops to see what they offer. hope this helps.

Please do expand on this piece of advice.

Other than condom catheters, SeaCure mouthpieces, and mask defog I can't really think of any gear that "doesn't make sense" to buy used.

:idk:

I already said regulators don't always make sense because by the time you pay the used price and pay $100+ to get it serviced, you come pretty close to the purchase price of a new regulator. In that case, you might as well buy new.

Back
Top Bottom