Hinged Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

airsix:
I think you're too worried.

-Ben

Not worried at all, just an observation. I'm not sure how much upward force the hinge is set to take. If I owned a set, I might be worried.

merxlin:
Anyone have an idea how these would act during a giant stride? I have a picture in my head of them coming up and slapping you in the kneecaps while you sink like a rock. Or worse, the front one unhinges and the back does not, folding you forward into a face plant. Whaddaya think?

I believe you would leave them up for the stride. They would then deploy after entry.
As for getting back on the boat, you would again, release the locks and climb the ladder.

Dave

Notso_Ken:
OK, so what problemn are they are a solution to?

Ken
I imagine they'd make kneeling on the bottom much more comfortable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not following the criticism too well. If they worked like a dream with no hickups (I know, a big "if"), everything would be easier and therefore safer. Getting off the boat, getting up the ladder, shore dives. What's wrong with making things easier (besides the cost)?

SteveFass:
I'm not following the criticism too well. If they worked like a dream with no hickups (I know, a big "if"), everything would be easier and therefore safer. Getting off the boat, getting up the ladder, shore dives. What's wrong with making things easier (besides the cost)?
I'm not seeing how hinged fins could possibly make climbing a boat ladder easier. If anything, it seems that task would then become more difficult. Wouldn't the easiest thing to do (in most cases) be to simply take the fins off before attempting the ladder?

Same goes for getting off the boat. How would the process work? Flip the fins up, walk to the back of the boat, secure the hinges, then giant stride? Or would you secure the hinges after you've gotten in the water? Likewise with a back roll ... would you really want to be messing with your fins once you're in the water?

Shore dives? I do about 90% of my diving from shore ... just don't see where having hinged fins would be any help there.

I'm not inherently against the concept ... I'm just having a difficult time figuring out the advantage ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

how hinged fins could possibly make climbing a boat ladder easier.

I see two ways - if you fall off the ladder while going up it with your fins in hand, you are now in the water ...with your fins in your hand. Even just taking your fins off while in the water - if the fins are a struggle to get off it is a nuisance, or if the water is rough and the ladder is bouncing up and down while your attention is on trying to get a fin off it could be dangerous. One of the things that bugs me about my favorite boat here in NY is that the ladder is not a Xmas tree ladder. With these fins it would not be an issue.

Same goes for getting off the boat. How would the process work? Flip the fins up, walk to the back of the boat, secure the hinges, then giant stride? Or would you secure the hinges after you've gotten in the water?

I read somewhere here that you get in the water with the fins up and they come down and lock automatically with your first few kicks.

Again, this is only if it works as well in practice as in theory.

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm not seeing how hinged fins could possibly make climbing a boat ladder easier. If anything, it seems that task would then become more difficult. Wouldn't the easiest thing to do (in most cases) be to simply take the fins off before attempting the ladder?

Same goes for getting off the boat. How would the process work? Flip the fins up, walk to the back of the boat, secure the hinges, then giant stride? Or would you secure the hinges after you've gotten in the water? Likewise with a back roll ... would you really want to be messing with your fins once you're in the water?

Shore dives? I do about 90% of my diving from shore ... just don't see where having hinged fins would be any help there.

I'm not inherently against the concept ... I'm just having a difficult time figuring out the advantage ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, From what I've read and seen, you wear the fins in the flipped up mode for entry, either by giant stride or doing a shore dive. After you have entered the water, a simple kick and the fins deploy and lock into place. To exit or climb a ladder, you release the locking tab and fold the fin up, climb ladder. Looks pretty simple.

Dave

I just don't know about these. Just my luck, I'd get a slightly dodgy pair, meaning that the bottom would flip back down just as I was stepping, causing me to hit the deck and then having to shell out more money for medical treatment...

I wonder if DAN insurance covers hinged fin stupid human tricks.... better call now and find out.

SteveFass:
I see two ways - if you fall off the ladder while going up it with your fins in hand, you are now in the water ...with your fins in your hand. Even just taking your fins off while in the water - if the fins are a struggle to get off it is a nuisance, or if the water is rough and the ladder is bouncing up and down while your attention is on trying to get a fin off it could be dangerous. One of the things that bugs me about my favorite boat here in NY is that the ladder is not a Xmas tree ladder. With these fins it would not be an issue.

I read somewhere here that you get in the water with the fins up and they come down and lock automatically with your first few kicks.

Again, this is only if it works as well in practice as in theory.

Steve is right, and most of us have seen divers with their fins off while still in the water, it's an awkward sight.

The Amphibian fins lock into place with the first kick.

I believe the divers who will benefit most from these fins will be experienced divers, because they are the ones who already have their hands full while making entries and exits. It's much more difficult to put on or take off fins while carrying cameras, lobster gear, spearguns, scooters, or assisting students or other divers.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom