Hinged Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go to Leisurepro and buy yourself 4 pairs of jets with the $280. :lol:

SparticleBrane:
Go to Leisurepro and buy yourself 4 pairs of jets with the $280. :lol:

Although you could have gotten them into your tub for your avatar shot:voskl1:
:monkeydan

dschulte:
I can’t wait to see the first pair of knock-offs!
:monkeydan

You already did! Somebody filed a patent back in the '60s or '70s for a design just like this. I've read the patent and seen the pictures when I thought I had this great idea about 10 years ago and did a prior-art search. These are probably either paying royalties or they improved the design sufficient to get around the patent.

-Ben

man I hope that hinge nor the retaining mechanism fails when you have a lengthy swim to a boat or to the shore. I wouldn't trust them.

Teamcasa:
Some people just don't like change. Some do! I however, intend on trying them. I’ll put up with the snickers and chuckles, all while making my shore entries easier and safer. Based on the design, I think they will perform in the water as well or better that any other blade fin.

Dave - Looking forward to my new set!

I be watching the classified section to see how much you sell them for after you try them....then maybe I will try them :rofl3:

I saw these on Sport Diver’s cover and thought it was a cute idea. I consider myself a gadget, guy but the real world application of such a device would be less then practical. As previously stated, they seem like they would cause more concern then they are worth.

Is it really that difficult to pull your fins on in the water? I think we are seeing the beginning of the next PADI specialty. “Advanced Fin Donning Techniques”. $125.00

The locking mechanism of the fin is made from hard plastic. The lock is just like a quick connect, . It locks but after years of locking and unlocking I'm thinking of the plastic getting brittle and snap. + it looks goofy

MrTheBrain:
...Is it really that difficult to pull your fins on in the water? I think we are seeing the beginning of the next PADI specialty. “Advanced Fin Donning Techniques”. $125.00

Its not just the difficulty of donning your fins in the water, a task that was simple when I was twenty, fit and limber. Now 35 years latter, bad knees along with a 7mm suit, weight belt and BC with 50+ lbs strapped to my back, 3’ surf and a rocky bottom, it is not quite as easy. Why not make it simple?

I'm sure that people argued the value of split window masks, flat and integrated octos, soft weights, dive computers, Nitrox, aluminum tanks, plastic regulators, modern BCD’s and most other innovations as well. Time, market value, quality, reliability and usefulness will ultimately determine their value to divers. I intend to give them a honest try.

Dave

Once you loose a fin during a dive you give up on conventional locking straps and go with springs.
These things apparently have twice as many ways to go south.

Why bring that upon yourself?

Point taken Teamcasa. I guess everything has its proper application. I just see some design faults that could cause complicated problems to what should be a simple tool. However I meant no offence, and I apologize if my comment was out of line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom