Hinged Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some Florida spring dives require walking in water until it is about up to your waist, swimmimg for a while, then more wading along. That gets you to the spring. It is not easy to take fins on and off in a current. You can get a splash pitting a fin on in a strong current, as you are standing on one foot. These fins might be convienient for this rather unique type of dive. I'd consider something like this if they cost about $200 less.

Happy diving!

If they also completely folded to make them easy to pack in a carryon that might be interesting.

From what I recall they originally were developed for military applications, back rolls off of boats, that type of stuff.

I thought they were developed for obese divers like myself who have trouble putting fins on while picking our way through a coral and boulder laced shore entry while being pounded by a 3' breaking surf.

Putting them on the cover of Sport Diver's 2007 Gear Buyer's Guide was a brilliant maneuver; sold a lot of copies of their magazine. I know that the first thing I did was to try to find the review on them to get a good chuckle. I can’t wait to see the first pair of knock-offs!
:monkeydan

Scuba_Jenny:
back rolls off of boats, that type of stuff.
What exactly is it about an unusual situation like "getting in the water from a boat" that these fins supposedly do better than the non-hinged ones I currently use?

Some people just don't like change. Some do! I however, intend on trying them. I’ll put up with the snickers and chuckles, all while making my shore entries easier and safer. Based on the design, I think they will perform in the water as well or better that any other blade fin.

Dave - Looking forward to my new set!

I didn't read all the schpeal on these fins. How do they "lock" in the up position? And I also wonder whether they will stay in the down position when you need them.

I thought a good application for the idea was shore entries in surf. But it seems like they would get knocked into the down position in surf. If they have a locking mechanism, you are left with the same issue of messing with your fins once you are out of the surf zone, which negates any benefit that I see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom