Hinged Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTheBrain:
I saw these on Sport Diver’s cover and thought it was a cute idea. I consider myself a gadget, guy but the real world application of such a device would be less then practical. As previously stated, they seem like they would cause more concern then they are worth.

Is it really that difficult to pull your fins on in the water? I think we are seeing the beginning of the next PADI specialty. “Advanced Fin Donning Techniques”. $125.00

i can see walking in the boat a good idea but at the shore wear open heel fins with boots and walk in deep enoff and slide them on.. its geting out with rocks allround you thats the hard part

MrTheBrain:
Point taken Teamcasa. I guess everything has its proper application. I just see some design faults that could cause complicated problems to what should be a simple tool. However I meant no offence, and I apologize if my comment was out of line.

I don’t think your comment was out of line, just one sided. No offense taken.

There seems to be an attitude that these fins are some kind of gimmick. All I’m trying to point out is that the idea has great merit to many. We don’t know if they will work for everyone but if they work as advertised, I believe they will add considerable enjoyment to diving and an added layer of safety. After all, with all of the new methods of manufacturing, engineering and high tech materials who is to say they will fail?

Dave

All inventions are there to solve a problem. There is a problem out there that involves people putting on fins in adverse conditions. This is one solution. There will be both positive and negative aspects to the invention. I can see this being used by those who are physically unable to bend enough to put on their fins.
To me this looks like a fad gadget like an electronic compass or dry snorkel.

airsix:
You already did! Somebody filed a patent back in the '60s or '70s for a design just like this. I've read the patent and seen the pictures when I thought I had this great idea about 10 years ago and did a prior-art search. These are probably either paying royalties or they improved the design sufficient to get around the patent.

-Ben

I would assume the patent already expired, in general they are only good for about 20 years.

offroaddiver:
All inventions are there to solve a problem.

from Omega's website:

No. 11 - They make you look cool and confident!
No. 20 - Be first to the food table after the dive!
No. 22 - Gets you noticed on the beach!

These are excellent reasons.

ams511:
from Omega's website:

No. 11 - They make you look cool and confident!
No. 20 - Be first to the food table after the dive!
No. 22 - Gets you noticed on the beach!

These are excellent reasons.
Of course they are!!!! :wink: We need everything in our power to look "cool" especially given how much the wetsuit detracts it in the first place! :D

Those paddles do seem interesting for shore dives. But, I'll wait till the price drops to a rate that doesn't make me gasp. I think someone here said that they should be expected to levitate you out of the water......good point! :D

I think for an additional $75 you can get them in splits...

Anyone have an idea how these would act during a giant stride? I have a picture in my head of them coming up and slapping you in the kneecaps while you sink like a rock. Or worse, the front one unhinges and the back does not, folding you forward into a face plant. Whaddaya think?

merxlin:
Anyone have an idea how these would act during a giant stride? I have a picture in my head of them coming up and slapping you in the kneecaps while you sink like a rock. Or worse, the front one unhinges and the back does not, folding you forward into a face plant. Whaddaya think?

I think you're too worried.

-Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom