Here it comes...Split-fins or Full fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought the blades before I knew what a frog kick, mod frog, mod flutter, and back kick were. When I learned, I bought fins that would let me do what I wanted to do.

Buy the right tool for the job. If i was flutter kicking my way around reefs, I'd own a pair of splits.

markr:
If the split fins sacrifice so much, how come when Scuba Diving magazine tests fins it's usually a split fin they rate as the fastest? The comments from the reviewers also indicate they had "excellent control in tight places", "good acceleration", and "no muscle strain".
To be effective, they require a somewhat different style than jets. One that uses the big muscles of the leg and is more of bicycle like kick. Many people do not know how to do this, or don't understand the need for it. Jets are almost the exact opposite.

The best split (it is not the split that is important, but the high flex) fins use less energy and are more efficient. As a plus, the water should come off the fins slightly up, so many of the jet fin kicks are not needed in silting conditions.

I know I first tried splits with the wrong kick and hated them. only took me years to understand the difference, so I understand why it is not obvious to everyone.

jeraldjcook:
I'd try both the SP Jets and Twin Jets. I have the black Twin Jets and love them, although this weekend I tried a pair of Jets and it felt like I had a rocket up my butt. I probably could have a pulled a skier I was moving so fast. But they were tougher on my ankles and legs.
I have both. Bought the Twin Jets from my LDS for an obscene amount of $ during my OW course because I was told by them that they were the best thing sinced sliced bread AND they were the only fins they kept in stock.

I bought my Jets at Goodwill for $5, replaced the straps with spring straps, and haven't used my Twin Jets since. The Jets definitely work better if there is any amount of current.

I find a huge variety of splits are available. One is not like the other. I personally prefer a somewhat stiffer split fin as opposed to the oceanic for example. I find the rigidity gives me the best of both worlds so get out try a bunch of variations and pick you fav!!!!!!

mnj1233:
I find the rigidity gives me the best of both worlds

Doubtful. Spend some time around line... Those things are a nightmare.

mnj1233:
I find the rigidity gives me the best of both worlds so get out try a bunch of variations and pick you fav!!!!!!

PerroneFord:
Doubtful. Spend some time around line... Those things are a nightmare.

For Pete’s sake, can’t a person have an OPINION that differs from DIR. It’s an opinion, not handed down from Mt. Sinai.

Split fins around line has nothing to do with DIR. It has everything to do with safety. But of course we are all welcome to share our opinion. Doesn't mean we all have to agree...

If someone claims to be able to do alternative types of kicks in a certain type of split fins, why would you be doubtful? Do you have a reason to be doubtful of his claim? I know people who can frog kick in splits just fine. Do you doubt they can as well? And are you saying splits are a safety hazard because they have a smooth slit down the middle? That's ridiculous. Any fin can get line tangled around the buckles or the whole fin itself. Saying there is a safety concern with splits is absurd. You are merely looking for ANY reason to justify your opinion.

Sorry about hijacking the tread everyone.

PerroneFord:
:)

As was mentioned, I am not racing underwater so a fin's speed is immaterial to me. However, the split fin is limited when it comes to avoiding silt. It is also less suitable to doing alternate kicks.

When I chose my fins, I chose one that would work over a wide variety of conditions, was durable, and would be good for doing more than flutter kicking, since I RARELY flutter kick.

So I have a pair of SP Jet Fins. I also have a pair of AL Blades.

Just because you can go fast doesn't mean you have to.

The fin's speed is an indication of the fin's efficieny and ability to convert kicks into foward motion. One of the previous posts implied the reason the split fins supposedly caused less cramping and muscle fatigue was because they sacrificed performance. A higher maximum speed would indicate that statement was incorrect.

The manufacturers claim the reduction in fatigue and cramping is the result of increased efficiency. The increased efficiency is supposed to come from the fin directing more water rearward, thus propelling the diver forward. As opposed to a non-split fin which displaces a higher percentage of water perpendicular to the fin.

Which brings me to another question. If the split fins direct more water rearward then a blade fin doing a flutter kick, wouldn't the blade fin kick up more silt then the split fin? I remeber the instructor telling us to try to remain horizontal in the water, which should result in the split fin disturbing the bottom less then a blade (assuming a flutter kick).

markr:
Which brings me to another question. If the split fins direct more water rearward then a blade fin doing a flutter kick, wouldn't the blade fin kick up more silt then the split fin? I remeber the instructor telling us to try to remain horizontal in the water, which should result in the split fin disturbing the bottom less then a blade (assuming a flutter kick).

Yes, you are correct, assuming proper finning angle. There is a link below to a website that tested numerous fins and he came to the same conclusion.

Back
Top Bottom