Here it comes...Split-fins or Full fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sicel1304

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So we all know the story with me. I'm an aspiring scuba diver, and I've just started to buy my own equipment. Both of my LDS's praise Split-fins to no end, but my Scuba Instructors preach against using split-fins.

Are there any brands you could recommend to me? I go on my open water certification dives the weekend of October 20th. By the way, cost can be an issue, I don't want to spend more then $150 on a pair of fins. Thanks!

Les

Sicel1304:
Hey guys,

So we all know the story with me. I'm an aspiring scuba diver, and I've just started to buy my own equipment. Both of my LDS's praise Split-fins to no end, but my Scuba Instructors preach against using split-fins.

Are there any brands you could recommend to me? I go on my open water certification dives the weekend of October 20th. By the way, cost can be an issue, I don't want to spend more then $150 on a pair of fins. Thanks!

Les

I have a pair of Apollo Bio fins and I love them. I have heard if your diving a lot of current you might not want to use split but I went to Cozumel recently and dove with some current and my split fins worked just fine. I wouldnt trade them in for sure. I think its a preference. You can get them from Scubatoys.com for $149 but you might be albe to find them cheaper on sale somewhere else.

My 2c
Stacy

...love my Atomic Aquatic splits... I've been in *strong* current with them, and (contrary to the paddle-fin advocates' claims) they work just fine... Also find I cramp alot LESS then with paddles (I tried them both)...

However, if you're looking to frog kick or back-kick (no, that's not laying on your back and kicking), you might want to look at the paddles.

Whatever works for you... It's a personal preference thing... (not unlike politics and religion)...

As it is a matter of preference I would suggest trying out some split fins before buying them.

That being said; split fins suck :) It is easier to kick because they do less per kick. This may actually be beneficial if you get tired or cramps with traditional blades but you sacrifice a lot to do it. Of course I use Scubapro Jet Fins so I am biased.

It's all based on personal opinion which is better or which is worse. Try a pair of splits and decide yourself. Me, I like both. They serve different purposes and use different kicks to maixmise their propulsion.

For nice long leisurely dives where you're just 'sight-seeing' splits are great. For functional diving, i.e taking pictures, you're better off in a pair of Jets.

JessH:
As it is a matter of preference I would suggest trying out some split fins before buying them.

That being said; split fins suck :) It is easier to kick because they do less per kick. This may actually be beneficial if you get tired or cramps with traditional blades but you sacrifice a lot to do it. Of course I use Scubapro Jet Fins so I am biased.

If the split fins sacrifice so much, how come when Scuba Diving magazine tests fins it's usually a split fin they rate as the fastest? The comments from the reviewers also indicate they had "excellent control in tight places", "good acceleration", and "no muscle strain".

JessH:

Nothing like an open mind... (usually, this flavor of one-sided pedantic opinion comes from someone that's never tried what they're flaming)

"Splits are easier to kick," because they're designed to work with an easy flutter, not a wide scissor... I tended to cramp with paddles, and found no increase in thrust over splits.

Splits aren't for everyone (just as paddles aren't)... Splits are fast, effortless, and avoid fatigue... Paddles are typically better for tight manuevering, and alternative kick-styles...

Obviously you'll find ardent advocates on both sides...

Try 'em for yourself... (and avoid any advice, as you put your gear together, that just dismisses one style of gear, or another, out of hand...)

I have big feet and always struggled getting a good fitting pair of fins with no avail. I have the Apollo Bi-Fins now and I love them. They have been the most indispensible piece of gear I own.

The only reason I can see for going the traditional style as a newbie is if you plan to do either cave diving or wreck penetrations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom