Here it comes...Split-fins or Full fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Mod Flutter (which I do... badly)
2. Dolphin (Which I do not do)

I'll catch you a Morrison sometime. I'll not be diving much for now until after the holidays. This is my busy season.

-P

Puffer Fish:
But when you are there, try the following two kicks:

1. Make the force by using the top of your foot to move the fin. This means that all the rest of the stroke is to recover. This pushes water back and down and is close to the effect of just a flutter. If done correctly, you feel the pressure on the top of your foot.

2. Make the force by using just the bottom of your foot, by pushing down and pointing toes at the same time. Takes some timing to get right. This only pushes back and up. This takes a lot of hip and leg motion as compared to the other.

PerroneFord:
1. Mod Flutter (which I do... badly)
2. Dolphin (Which I do not do)

I'll catch you a Morrison sometime. I'll not be diving much for now until after the holidays. This is my busy season.

-P
Not a Dolphin, looks like someone peddling a bike with a very small crank. Have never hear of a name for it. Which is why I think it is hard to explain to people. The trick is to pull the fin back with the least resistance and then start the leg push to bend the fin into position, then continue by pushing the foot down and pointing toe. Don't have that kick and splits will not be fun.

bwerb:
Don't you think it's interesting that the party with the vested interest in having you part with as much money as possible is pushing the split-fin option whereas the parties most interested in your diving skill are suggesting paddles. Hmm...
Huh???

I don't know, bwerb... I see 8 or 9 responses on this thread, advocating splits, with no vested interest at all...

I see Perrone (of DIR philosophies, like you) exhibiting a non-biased open mind towards trying something new (and kudos to you, Perrone... just for that, I'm going to try some Jets)...

I see a manufacturer (quite a few here, in fact) offering their own perspectives (to their credit, for following the pulse of this board)...

Why cast dispersions on good intentions? :no

BKP:
Huh???

I don't know, bwerb... I see 8 or 9 responses on this thread, advocating splits, with no vested interest at all...

I see Perrone (of DIR philosophies, like you) exhibiting a non-biased open mind towards trying something new (and kudos to you, Perrone... just for that, I'm going to try some Jets)...

I see a manufacturer (quite a few here, in fact) offering their own perspectives (to their credit, for following the pulse of this board)...

Why cast dispersions on good intentions? :no

If you go back and read the entire response and quote you will see what Bwerb is talking about. However just because an instructor is biased towards a fin type does not make it the BEST fin for everyone.

I've tried Jets. They are stiff, heavy, uncomfortable, and result in cramps for many even if they did not for me. For me the fit was the biggest issue, they just were too wide, and somehow loose and cramped at the same time! :shakehead

There maybe a Jet like solution out there for me, and maybe the fins I tried were stiff, or the wrong size, or something, but I did not like them much.

Apollo should make a Jetfin as their foot pockets are the most comfortable I've found.

RonFrank:
If you go back and read the entire response and quote you will see what Bwerb is talking about. However just because an instructor is biased towards a fin type does not make it the BEST fin for everyone.

I've tried Jets. They are stiff, heavy, uncomfortable, and result in cramps for many even if they did not for me. For me the fit was the biggest issue, they just were too wide, and somehow loose and cramped at the same time! :shakehead

There maybe a Jet like solution out there for me, and maybe the fins I tried were stiff, or the wrong size, or something, but I did not like them much.

Apollo should make a Jetfin as their foot pockets are the most comfortable I've found.
Yep, read the entire post, first. Perhaps it's just a matter of personal experience (where the LDS is concerned). Both LDSs I associate with are most interested in seeing their students outfitted properly.

I've been wanting to try the Apollos for a while. The all-rubber thing is *very* interesting (and I've heard the same about the foot pocket being so comfy). Perhaps I'll try the XT. The Atomics are relatively stiff for splits, and I understand the XT is about 10% stiffer then the standard Bios. (And I keep looking for new ways into Scuba Bankruptcy Land, anyway).

BKP:
(And I keep looking for new ways into Scuba Bankruptcy Land, anyway).

Let me put you on the goldline my man....

Custom Drysuit
Scooter
Canister HID
Trimix
Rebreather

(Sorry if this is a duplicate, I just sent this before but, I got a blank page).

I bought split fins because I tend to cramp up...especially in cold water. I use both paddles and splits. I use my splits in tropical diving and cold water diving and in strong currents have no problem with them. I think I can make tighter, better turns with my paddles compared to the splits. I have only used my paddles in tropical water and also snorkeling. Splits aren't great for snorkeling.

I see a few people saying that you "can't" frog kick with splits. I tend to disagree because I frog kick all the time with my splits. If your looking for speed, splits are fast but, you'll get no where if you use big flutter kicks, use small kicks. You can miss a lot of sea life or blow your buddy off if your in a hurry. Take your time and enjoy the dive :)

Maybe you can find a pair of each to try and see which ones you like.

PerroneFord:

Custom Drysuit
Scooter
Canister HID
Trimix
Rebreather
Oh, I hear that...

I'm talking to Tobin right now about a new singles rig, first...
Then, I can think about the above...

(I know I stashed some quarter roles around here somewhere...)

bwerb:
Don't you think it's interesting that the party with the vested interest in having you part with as much money as possible is pushing the split-fin option whereas the parties most interested in your diving skill are suggesting paddles. Hmm...

Isuggested split fins and I have no vested interest. He asked for our opinions and I have a pair of splits and love them. I would never give them up. We went to Cozumel and I swam in current, caves etc and they worked perfect. I flutter kick so if I didn’t they might not work for me. I never cramp and its a nice gentle swim. Everyone to their own and you don’t know till you buy them. I do notice that swimming with the split vs paddle does seem to have less resistance and easier flow but hey that’s just me. No vested interest just my 2c. You will find people that are very bias one way or another. The thing is to take it all in and then go down try them on and see what feels good. If possible try them out. When I got my splits the store said after one use if I didn’t like the feel I could return them. I was hesitant since i have never tried splits and they can be a little pricey. But I loved them the first time in the water. You might not have a kick that works with a split, I don’t know or you might love them just like I did. So just take it all in as what works for that person and try to figure out what will work for you.

Stacy

PerroneFord:

Custom Drysuit
Scooter
Canister HID
Trimix
Rebreather

Got my Custom dry suit on order (can't wait). Scooter is on my Christmas list :D Now the rebreather :no To scary. We just had someone die out here this past weekend and they said he was using a rebreather. Not sure if it had a contributing factor to his death but I wouldn’t want to risk it. Guess its the chicken part in me. That’s a good thing though saves me some $$$$
Ok slightly off topic back to slit or no split :D

Stacy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom