Henderson Goldcore - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tip, Mike. My question is, can you remove the hood and clip it on when needed?

The hooded vest is one piece. You cannot remove and replace the hood.

Both my dive buddy & myself use 2-piece 7mil wetsuits. The water can get pretty chilly aroud here, especially early and late in the season( like mid to high thirties). She has the Henderson Gold Core, I have an aquaflite (www.aquaflite.com). Both suits have the slick lining, which does form a seal and does keep water out. The main difference is that the Henderson, a big brand name, was about twice as much as the aquaflite. The Aquaflite wasn't custom, but you can get a custom one made if you want (still cheaper than the Henderson). An additional reason I like it better is that I switched to a steamer/shorty combo rather than the traditional farmer john. I can wear just the 7mil steamer and a separate 5mil hood, or wear the steamer and the shorty with attached hood. This puts 14mil on all of the crucial parts(torso), but still just 7mil for the moving parts (arms & legs).

Grrrr.... can you get a Goldcore vest that has no hood? I would really rather have a separate hood.

I also found little extra warmth value, but big time ease of donning and FAST drying. However, mine has also been back to Henderson twice-onece to repair a seam that let go and the other time to replace the zipper!

Hey, Gaucho,

Henderson will make all sorts of custom stuff--like zipper on legs and arms, etc.--so, I think that if you have a specific request for a removable hood kept on with snaps of the like, they will probably do it. AT A PRICE!

I have a Hendeson vest w/o hood that I use when the water temp gets below ca. 78 deg. I bought a separate (non-Henderson) hood which I don on almost every dive, regardless of water temp. I did not want an integral hood because it seem awkward and I do not dive in supercooled water that requires a skin tight fit. I just like the extra warmth that a hood provides. There are lots of separate hoods in the market.

Hope this helps...

Like kwesler, I, too, have had to repair my Henderson around some seams--on one leg at the knee patch. I sent it to Henderson the first time and they did the repair for what I considered too much money. The second time I repaired it myself--we were on a dive trip and would not be home for three weeks--and my repair worked as well as Henderson's. It was not quite as cosmetically attractive, but it has survived many, many dives.

I did the repair with a neoprene repair kit. First I dried off the tear with Barbara's hair drier (carefully); then I glued the edges of the tear and held them together until the glue set sufficiently to hold without my help; one non-alcoholic pina colada and a few chapters of the book I was reading later I sewed the tear with polyester thread (the only kind I had); finally, I spread the glue over the sewing inside and out. I let the repair sit for ca. 12 hours (overnight) and used the suit the next day. It is still in excellent shape.

I am not certain that the repair is technically completely correct--I sort of invented it based on intuition. I probably will continue to do all my repairs from now on.

Joewr

Wow, lots of info. Thanks for the tips. I was in SFO this weekend and couldnt get a Henderson dealer. Will try to get one next time Im in LA.

You may want to check out some of the other brands that look & feel just like the Henderson, but only cost half as much. There doesn't seem to be that much difference between most of the brands as far as neoprene quality (with some exceptions) so it seems like you are paying a premium for the brand name. Cost and guarantees against seams splitting would factor higher for me than the name sewn on the label. For the record both me and my dive buddy have these type of suits in 2 piece 7 mil (hers is a Henderson, mine isn't) and both have been used all season (since May) and neither one has had a problem with seams.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom