Henderson Goldcore - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gaucho

Reaction score
The Henderson website makes quite a good marketing case for their premium goldcore gear. I assume you must pay a premium versus regular fabric wetsuits. Experiences/comments? Is is worth the difference?

To clarify after five dives in my 3mil, water hit the small of my back way faster than it is supose to. Make sure the shop you are at has a repiar replace policy, before you find out that where the zipper starts has two ripped seams.

I also heard that TILOS has a suit made at the same plant for half the cost, though the linning is silver.

The adding of "metal" to a wetsuit is something of a big marketing hype. So far, no one has come forth with dead to rights scientific data saying that adding metal to a wetsuit makes it significantly warmer. It might make easier to put the wetsuit on, but most of the "it's warmer" claims are anecdotal responses from the users.

For some some strait stuff on wetsuits, read this article from Rodales ScubaDiving.com: 10 Big Lies: Wetsuit BS -- How the exaggerated claims of wetsuit makers can leave you cold.

I love my gold core hood. I don't think the gold core is a hype on the addition of metal. Just the color of the material inside. Its really slick so it pulls on really easy. I have worn some other hoods that I thought I was gonna come out of the hood bald it pulled hair so bad. Shop around too. This is one item that you can get a WIDE range of prices on from place to place

Tom

My wife has a Goldcore and really likes it. I have a couple of custom Liquidfit suits that also have the lining in them. It's called Platinum in LiquidFits and is silver. I can definately say that it's sealing ability and therefore warmth is vastly superior to a standard suit. The lining essentially creates a seal over the entire surface of your body and when fitted properly they are hard to beat. But I can't say a whole lot as to how long they last, I've only had mine for 10 months.

One thing to avoid getting sucked into is all the hype about Titanium suits. Most people and testers say it's pure BS. I think this is what TexasMike was refering too instead of the goldcore. Goldcore has nothing to do with metal, it doesn't have Titanium or any other metals.

There is also some good reading about different types of neoprene at Diverlink, if you're interested.

their website is http://www.tilos.com

just a personal note the Deluxe Super Tote can can survive a 80mph trip off the top of a vehicle

About my Goldcore I like it but I wish I would have shopped around first

Gaucho,

I am not certain that my Henderson Gold 3mm keeps me warmer than any other 3mm, BUT it is certainly easier to pull on when wet! Since I generally like to take my suit off between dives--or, at least, slip the top off--this is a very desireable feature.

On the down side, though, the Henderson has torn twice near the seam for the knee pads. I have repaired both tears with thread and repair compound and neither repair has come undone. Note, though, that now I am very careful when pulling on a leg near the pads!

I have talked other divers with suits that are bonded with other "easy-slide" polymers(e.g., Harvey's that Warhammer referred to) and they seem to have the same easy-on effect as the Henderson. My guess is the best bet is to try various suits on and go with fit and price.

Joewr

Thanks to all for the tips. I think Im going to get a Goldcore vest to complement my existing Oceanic suit.

If you are choosing the vest make sure you choose one with the attached hood. Makes a nice addition for colder water diving (such as under thermoclines)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom