Help with tank choice for wife and daughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bowzer

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and daughter are diving LP85s (Farber) but feel they are a bit heavy. We do a lot of shore dives so balance on rocks is important. They were thinking aboug getting some LP65s but saw two women diving with HP80s last October (Farber I believe). That got us thinking HP and taking even a little more off the weight belt. My girls are tall 5'10" and 5'9". Does anyone out there have any specific recomendations HP80 v LP65 v Al65 or any other comments? We have a Rix so getting a full fill isn't a problem most of the time, and neither are air-hogs.

We love our E7-80s, all 4 of them.

This site has the data to let you compare the weights and empty bouyancies to calculate the weight and bouyancy offsets.
http://www.techdivinglimited.com/pub/tanks.html

With the slightly more negative negative empty buoyancy they will get to drop 2 (1.8) pounds from their belts, the tank will be 3 pounds lighter making them 5 pounds lighter getting in the water. The cylinder is also 6 inches shorter.

The E7_80 can be had for $200 give or take $5.

Valentines day is coming.

Pete

My GF (5'3") is using 130CF... After then, she regards AL80 as a toy....

AL65 is known for a lady tank though, I think your girls can handle HP80 that Pete also recommends.

I have to second Spectrum's recommendation of the E7-80's.
My wife dives them and loves them.

the K

I agree with Spectrum and The Kraken. My wife is 5'4'' and dives with E7-80's. She dropped 5 lbs of weight off her belt and the tank is much more comfortable in terms of length and overall weight distribution.

Only problem that I have is when we head south for a vacation and she has to use AL80's provided by the resorts. Good thing there is much to see otherwise I expect that I would hear the whining about the tank underwater and not just between dives.

Life is not too hard if that is my biggest complaint.

Since switching to HP80s about 10 years ago, I have never wanted to dive anything else. As someone who is not especially tall (5' 3"), I find their size & weight make them ideal not only for open water diving, but for working with students in the pool where a longer "standard" AL 80 just pushes me forward when I am kneeling on the bottom.

Needless to say, the fact that you can take weight off your belt when diving with them is also a big bonus. :thumb:

Thanks for the prompt response.

My LDS carries OMS and Faber HP tanks and can get me either with a DIN/Yoke valve for about the same money. They are competitively priced, especially when one factors in shiping. I believe the Faber HP80s are new and have galvanizing under their paint. I have also heard that the OMS are PSI units.

Does anyone have a preference as to which to purchase and why?

If it makes any difference, we don't do Nitrox right now, but I will probably lash up a blend stick in the future.

BTW: Spectrum, that is a nice link. I have been digging around but haven't found that info all in one place. The Faber site being a little confusing as only lists metric style specifications. I was unaware that Faber had 2 models of "HP" 80 tanks available. The FX sure looks the better and on a par with the E7s

Bowzer:

My LDS carries OMS and Faber HP tanks and can get me either with a DIN/Yoke valve for about the same money. They are competitively priced, especially when one factors in shiping. I believe the Faber HP80s are new and have galvanizing under their paint. I have also heard that the OMS are PSI units.

My two original (10 yr old!) steel HPs are Sherwood Genesis tanks while my "newest" tank, purchased about 2 years ago, is a PST. Personally, I have no preference.

BTW, I dive DIN.

Bowzer:

I prefer OMS because it is made by PST. PST tank is a hot galvanized tank, Faber X tank is the whilte paint finished. I don't think there is that much difference in performance wise though. I believe that Faber tanks have more chance to get the chips and scratches.

I would consider steel PST E7-80 if they are diving dry and if they are diving wet can't go wrong with an AL 80. My 11 year old dives with an AL63 and has no problems with the weight he needs in a 7mm out here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom