Need help with Harness on BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the input. Here is what I am working with. She feels pretty strongly about having the chest strap.

View attachment 84914

On a side note, I bought a crotch strap for myself, the Dive Rite one. It is so stiff it feels like a 2x4 shoved up my :mooner:

Any ideas to make it softer? Not sure how long my baby soft butt will last...:rofl3:

I am very new to BP/w. I have a build such that my backpacks tend to slide off my shoulders if I don't have a sternum strap. The same is true of my BP/w if I am hiking it a distance overland. My BP/w does not have a sternum strap and, as it happens, I don't need one since once I am horizontal in the water the weight is transferred off my shoulders and onto my back. Also, if I keep my hands out in front of me when diving the BP can't slide off, plus the change in position tightens up the rig a bit.

Sternum strap for hiking your BP to a dive site - possibly necessary or desirable.

Sternum strap for diving your BP - not necessary.

try a couple double enders from your chest d-rings :wink:

I am very new to BP/w. I have a build such that my backpacks tend to slide off my shoulders if I don't have a sternum strap. The same is true of my BP/w if I am hiking it a distance overland. My BP/w does not have a sternum strap and, as it happens, I don't need one since once I am horizontal in the water the weight is transferred off my shoulders and onto my back. Also, if I keep my hands out in front of me when diving the BP can't slide off, plus the change in position tightens up the rig a bit.

Sternum strap for hiking your BP to a dive site - possibly necessary or desirable.

Sternum strap for diving your BP - not necessary.

I will try the boiling water on the crotch strap first since that is the cheapest way.

While I agree about the chest strap, it is not me you need to convince...

Another question: She has requested a quick release buckle for her waist strap. I said I would check into it. Her previous BC had one and she liked it. Is there any for-seeable reason not to use one; and second, where can I find a 2" buckle??

Don't try this while wearing it.:wink:

Alternatively you can "breakin" stiff webbing by running it through the washer a few times.

Tobin

Oh good idea. You can roast chestnuts, but boiling doesn't sound all that fun. I should probably not be wearing it while washing either...:shocked2:

Another question: She has requested a quick release buckle for her waist strap. I said I would check into it. Her previous BC had one and she liked it. Is there any for-seeable reason not to use one; and second, where can I find a 2" buckle??

I may not understand what you wrote. There seem to be two types of "buckles" out there - the buckle system (which looks like a lever which pinches down on the belt) and the clip system (which looks like an arrowhead that clips into a matching receptacle). All weight belts that I have ever seen use the buckle system. All BC waist bands that I have seen use the clip system. Both are quick release. Personally I much prefer the buckle - my buddy can grab the loose end of my belt, tug, and the belt falls off. With a clip system my buddy has to locate the clip and pinch both squeeze points to get the system to release.

I may not understand what you wrote. There seem to be two types of "buckles" out there - the buckle system (which looks like a lever which pinches down on the belt) and the clip system (which looks like an arrowhead that clips into a matching receptacle). All weight belts that I have ever seen use the buckle system. All BC waist bands that I have seen use the clip system. Both are quick release. Personally I much prefer the buckle - my buddy can grab the loose end of my belt, tug, and the belt falls off. With a clip system my buddy has to locate the clip and pinch both squeeze points to get the system to release.

I guess I wasn't very clear. She wants a clip type system. I understand that the clip is easier for another diver to use, but if it is on her waist strap, how often would another diver (preferably me:D) be undoing her waist strap? Are there situations where this is a factor? I am not trying to be a jerk, I just can't think of any other than a need to take her entire rig off. We are recreational divers. She would NEVER be found in a wreck or cave or anywhere she can't go straight up to the surface.

I cannot remember ever seeing a 2" clip buckle for a waist strap except on BCs or seeing just the buckle for sale. I figure there must be a reason...:idk:

The harness should have come with a 2" SS DR QR buckle. This is your best choice. It can be painted with exterior acrylic paints available from Walmart/craft store any design desired. Any on-line retailer has 2" SS QR buckles. A buddy would just pull on the webbing to release if need be. Also they last forever. Buff with emory cloth to dull buckle before painting. Heat set paint in oven.

If you mean a 2" Delrin buckle those can be obtained from REI or an outfitter store. These are not desirable because not as sturdy, more problems with sand, and harder to release especially with gloves. Google delrin buckle. It has the same style as the chest strap buckle. Backpacks may have this style of buckle. Light weight.
http://www.omsdive.com/hardware.html

These are not desirable because not as sturdy, more problems with sand, and harder to release.

...and not as adjustable. I find, particularly with a thick wetsuit, that giving it a good cinch once I hit the water helps a lot. Adjusting length on the fly for different exposure suits, etc. would be pretty hard with a clip, and tightening it down just a wee bit more once you hit the water is also essentially impossible.

Another thought: to a certain extent, comfort on land is not the point. You're going to be hopping into the water with it soon after. I know your situation makes diving with it difficult before it's adjusted, but maybe there's a pool or something nearby? Ideally with someone who's BP/W experienced in swim trunks? :)

I'd give the traditional configuration a try before you start mucking about with quick-releases and so forth too much. I jumped right into the bells-and-whistles harness, and it turns out all those old grumpy folks were right...the single piece of webbing, properly adjusted, works really well. Give it a chance if you can manage it.

Best,
Ari

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom