Need help with Harness on BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I wasn't very clear. She wants a clip type system. I understand that the clip is easier for another diver to use, but if it is on her waist strap, how often would another diver (preferably me:D) be undoing her waist strap?

A SS QR buckle is far easier to release than a Delrin buckle.

gsk3 is right - based on my personal experience, a SS QR buckle is far easier to adjust underwater and on land than a Delrin buckle, especially with gloves on.

If she feels strongly about the chest strap, I'll bet you she'll be perfectly happy with the crossed straps. They accomplish the same thing.

Crotch straps are better if they are not made of 2" nylon webbing. If they are, I think you can boil the webbing to remove some of the resin reinforcement (I seem to remember reading that somewhere). But a better choice is softer webbing. You can buy polypropylene webbing cheaply, and it takes about ten minutes with a standard home sewing machine to put a crotch strap together.

Any suggestions on where to buy polypropylene webbing?

Because of a short torso, the Dive Rite harness and the chest strap ride to high for her comfort.
So we tried the crossing straps in the back. It was very useful for the feeling on her shoulders, but the straps dug into the front part of her armpits. So plan C I guess. I get a length of polypropylene (soft stuff) and do a cross in the back.

Any suggestions on where to buy polypropylene webbing?

You don't need polypro, there are nylon weaves that are softer.

We use a softer non reinforced nylon webbing for crotch straps.

Tobin

You don't need polypro, there are nylon weaves that are softer.

We use a softer non reinforced nylon webbing for crotch straps.

Tobin

The crotch strap my wife has is DSS. It is very soft. Much better than my 2x4.

Does DSS sell the soft nylon weaves?

Does DSS sell the soft nylon weaves?

Does DSS sell nylon weave in colours other than black? :) Patterns?

If she feels strongly about the chest strap, I'll bet you she'll be perfectly happy with the crossed straps. They accomplish the same thing.

Crotch straps are better if they are not made of 2" nylon webbing. If they are, I think you can boil the webbing to remove some of the resin reinforcement (I seem to remember reading that somewhere). But a better choice is softer webbing. You can buy polypropylene webbing cheaply, and it takes about ten minutes with a standard home sewing machine to put a crotch strap together.

I boiled the strap for about an hour. No noticeable improvement:depressed:

Any suggestions where to buy some inexpensive poly webbing for a crotch strap and possibly a harness??

http://www.diverite.com/tv/gear-configuration/67

The chest strap places the shoulder straps in a position that is most comfortable for hiking.

The D-rings that the chest strap is attached to may be raised or lowered for the best fit. It takes a few tries to get it right. Also the 1" chest strap may be lengthened if need be.

I use a 2" DR crotch strap. Mine came with soft sleeve that goes over webbing. Softer tubular webbing may be obtained from Dive Gear Express or REI.Sewing machine not necessary. Can use two to four DR nonserrated belt slides. Fold webbing back through belt slide to make a loop on ends. Add bent or normal D-rings with serrated DR belt slides as needed. Melt cut ends.

I use an exposure suit. The belt slides may cause irritation then a sewing machine is necessary.

Search the videos on the TransPac adjustment or TransPlate for ideas on how a harness should fit a woman.

Maybe look at fit adjusting video for women.

I have not bought from them, but THESE folks get recommended frequently when people ask where to order various kinds of webbing.

I ordered some polypropylene webbing from Strapworks, thanks to everyone's favorite medical personnel. At only $.22 a foot, its worth a try. Lots of colors to choose from, wife was pleased at that. Should be here in a few days, will update after it arrives.:handball:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom