No jacket required~ BP setup help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my 1.5 cents - don't know enough to geve you a full two... :)

I dive a single, exclusively. My personal rig is a PST HP steel 100. Of course, I also get to use the beater AL80's offered on dive boats from time to time, and at Catalina when I don't feel like schlepping my own cylinder over there. So my 1.5 cents is about the single.

The 36# Pioneer is great. It inflates so fast - I mean fast. Even orally, its 4 full breaths and its solid. My fluffy Black Diamond was 50# of lift...and that was just crazy for a single anything. I like the "taco" description....funny. But the 36 is great.

After being on a boat for a two days last weekend and making 8 dives (5 + 3) I'm for sure getting an STA. I want to simply slide in the channel weight to offset the +4 of the AL80s I'll be using. I'll keep it off when using my own cylinder, as I want ditchable weight (the ACB's...) I could have gotten the FredT and the channel weight and had nothing on the belt - but I like the peace of mind of being able to ditch some and get my rig back to the surface if needed.

For the prices I paid on eBay for my stuff, I couldn't see investing the extra time (or money) in having to finish the Fred Plate. Of course, I frayed my harness on my new Halcyon....so I should have at least checked. My bad. But it was a 10 minute investment in time, finishing would have been a LOT more. For me, I needed a rig quickly and Halycon stuff is on eBay all the time.

Had a tough time with the bolt snaps and gloves, too. On Monday I moved up the D-ring up a bit (closer to my clavicle) and its much easier to do that upside-down clip and unclip thing now.

Changing wings is simple stuff with an STA, because the straps are threaded through the STA and not the BP its self. 2 wing nuts and whamo - you're done. Not that I need to ever change (diving single) but I took it apart to dunk it (I understand I really don't need to...but I'm glad I did or I wouldn't have found the fraying harness...) and it was a big pain taking apart the buckles, un-threading the straps, etc. Again, I see an STA in my near future.

As far as the manifold and stuff - I stayed decidely low tech. I'm just using my Atomic B1 reg spun onto my standard valve. I simply added a Z1 2nd for the necklace. If there is tech, overhead or doubles in your future, everyone speaks very highly of the cost-to-performance value of the Sea Elite's.

Rock on Ray - You're going to love it.

WreckWriter once bubbled....

Chunk of lead that rests in the channel between your doubles. They come in 8 and 12 lb versions (which can be trimmed down with a wood chisel and hammer if need be)

I though I remember uncle pug referring to his as a keel wieght, but same thing conceptually. I'm a bit of a tinkerer,and pretty handy around the shop. 25 years in construction and racing cars kind of helps in that department. In general, seem like the BP/wing is very adaptable to slight personal adjustment if you're so inclined.

Mo2vation...

I saw your first, I think 2nd, and then 5th? What happened to 2 & 3?

That link is something very similar to what I had in mind. Too easy!

My public humiliation - the complete works...

The assimilation begins... Resistance seems futile
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20998

The Assimilation Continues (part 2 of ?) Searching for 36# wing...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21786

The Assimiliation Continues, Part 3... Wing arrived! The rest should roll in tomorrow
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22023

The Assimiliation continues - Part 4 (its all here...)
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22060

The Assimilation Continues - Part 5. My first 8 dives with BP/W & DIR Reg config
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22302

I stumbled across this :

a 36lb MC System is 430.00 complete,

and asked:

When you say an MC system complete, what are you considering complete?

I'm looking to change out my back inflate BC for a BP/Wing setup.

and got the response:

When I say complete, I mean the whole BC....
The complete system...or BC....consists of the Backplate and harness, Pioneer (or Explorer for doubles) wing, and backplate
pad/storage pack. With the Pioneer system you also get 2 tank or sometimes called "cam" straps with Stainless steel buckles.

Thoughts?

be sure you're not getting gouged for freight.

If you want extra, ditchable weight, you'll need a weight belt or ACB.

The pad / storage pack is overrated IMHO. I'm taking the rig for a spin this Monday without it. If it OK, the "pad" will be sold to someone else as I don't use a lift bag in my diving.

FTP on that rig is $555 - so you're doing well. I ended up paying about $470 for my rig with 3 day delivery for my trip last weekend off of eBay. You're right there.

enjoy.

K

raybo once bubbled...
I stumbled across this :

a 36lb MC System is 430.00 complete,

and asked:

When you say an MC system complete, what are you considering complete?

I'm looking to change out my back inflate BC for a BP/Wing setup.

and got the response:

When I say complete, I mean the whole BC....
The complete system...or BC....consists of the Backplate and harness, Pioneer (or Explorer for doubles) wing, and backplate
pad/storage pack. With the Pioneer system you also get 2 tank or sometimes called "cam" straps with Stainless steel buckles.

Thoughts?

Do a quick tally of the individual prices

Approx:
36# Wing $340
storage pak $65
Backplate/harness $145 (assuming aluminum otherwise $190)

Total $550 ($595 Stainless)

Even with 50 dives you're still okay....

Mo2vation once bubbled...
be sure you're not getting gouged for freight.

If you want extra, ditchable weight, you'll need a weight belt or ACB.

The pad / storage pack is overrated IMHO. I'm taking the rig for a spin this Monday without it. If it OK, the "pad" will be sold to someone else as I don't use a lift bag in my diving.
K

No sense rushing that decision to get rid of it. Someday you may use a lift bag. Doesn't cost anything to have it around for your buddy to try.

I've dove the plate(s) allot without the pad. Couldn't tell the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom