Help with my puppy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Def DO NOT let him/her out of your sight until he has started going to the door by himself and waiting for you. Even then don't take your eyes off him for several weeks. Either he is being watched or in his crate, no other options will do until he becomes dependable. Dogs are creatures of habit, if you are inconsistent he will not form a routine. My last lab took less than a week to train, after several days I noticed he walked to the door and set down. While I did not trust him for several more weeks, I have had no problems since. I routinely leave him in for hours at a time unattended now with no worries.

And I might as well give you fair warning. Heed this warning or your house will suffer. At about 1 yr old your lab will start to get his adult teeth. ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING FOR HIM TO CHEW ON !! He will start to chew like crazy for a month or 2 and if you don't provide something to chew on he will find something his self. The good news it only last a few months. I learned this lesson on my first lab, the second went a lot smoother.

herman:
And I might as well give you fair warning. Heed this warning or your house will suffer. At about 1 yr old your lab will start to get his adult teeth. ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING FOR HIM TO CHEW ON !! He will start to chew like crazy for a month or 2 and if you don't provide something to chew on he will find something his self. The good news it only last a few months. I learned this lesson on my first lab, the second went a lot smoother.

Umm..most dogs start teething at around 3-5 months old and are finished by the time they are 6-7mo old. By a year they definetly already have all their adult teeth.

To the original poster: If you feel bad about crating the dog while you are home try tethering it to you. Many people keep their dog on a 4 ft leash clipped to them while they are doing chores, etc. so it still get excercise and time with you but can't get themselves into trouble. I have worked with rescued and shelter dogs who were allowed/forced to lay in their own waste. If the dog was left alone in a crate a lot as a puppy and forced to go to the bathroom where they lay, its harder to potty train them as they don't have the natural aversion to their waste. If this was the case for this puppy it make take 3-6 months of consistency for your pup to be fully potty trained. You have to "un-do" the mistakes the pups original owner made.

miss, no help here

just chiming in to say hang in there, i am sure you will get the puppy on your side

I'll take him, I have always wanted a yellow lab. My poor ole black lab won't be with us much longer I'm afraid. Please post pictures.

Housetraining your dog (puppy or adult!)

The first thing you need to do is to remember that you’re trying to reinforce a new behavior. That means that the rewards for this behavior must be WONDERFUL. NOT crap from the store. Wonderful treats are poached chicken breast/turkey breast, cheese and steak. And you don’t have to use big pieces. Tiny pieces (about 3mm cubes) are just fine! I poach a whole turkey breast every few weeks, cut it into hunks when it’s cool enough to handle, wrap them well and store them in the freezer. When I need some, I’ll thaw a hunk overnight and cut off pieces and dice finely, storing them in a plastic bag in the fridge. One hunk will last about five days. Cheese is also popular, so variety is fine.

I carry these plastic bags in my jacket pockets in the winter and in a fanny pack in warmer weather. You HAVE to have these with you, or this method won’t work, because you need to reward as soon as the dog finishes pooping or peeing. It’s not going to work if the rewards are in the house.

Remember that you’re trying to change a very ingrained behavior. Some dogs like to feel certain things under their feet when they eliminate, like fabric, or newspaper. This is called a ‘substrate preference.’ What you’re trying to do is change this substrate preference, and to do that you have to make the treats SO wonderful that the dog will change this very well-entrenched behavior. Thus the chicken, cheese, steak.

I love clicker training, but this can be done without clickers. You just need a way to ‘mark’ the behavior you want to reinforce. Use the word ‘YESSSSS!!!!’ very enthusiastically – that works for some.

You’re going to need to GO OUTSIDE WITH your dog and the dog needs to be on a leash. Yes, even in winter. If you don’t reward IMMEDIATELY after the event (when dog immediately finishes pooping or peeing) and wait inside, the dog is going to be reinforced for coming inside, not for doing its business. So, leash up your dog. STAND IN ONE PLACE. Be boring. Bring a book or magazine for yourself.

Eventually, the dog will do what you’re waiting for. The NANOSECOND that the dog is finished, HAVE A PARTY – lots of loud, high-pitched praise, treats and running around. You want to make this memorable for your dog! You’ll find that once the first event is achieved, the others will come more quickly. Keep on treating (you don’t have to throw a party except for milestones – a milestone = if he only pooped outside but now peed, too, or something equivalent to that) until he’s good and used to peeing/pooping outside. Before you know it, you have a trained dog.

Regarding accidents in the house: NO SCOLDING. Just clean them up. If you scold you’ll get the dog to think it’s bad to pee or poop and he’ll do it in places you won’t see. Until you step in it. Invest in a big bottle of Nature’s Miracle or Simple Solution and use it liberally on accidents.

With young puppies, remember they have little control of the muscle that holds the bladder closed. This is something they grow into. Just as it’s not expected that a human baby is toilet trained at six months, don’t expect much from a puppy. Patience, patience, patience!!!! The nervous system in a puppy has to mature, and it won’t have much control over the sphincter (closing muscle) at the neck of the bladder until six or seven months. The same goes for the anal sphincter. Until control is achieved, both of these muscles operate on reflex: there are stretch receptors in the bladder wall. When the bladder is full, it sends impulses to the spinal cord and these, in turn, send signals to the sphincter to open and the dog pees.

In the stomach wall, there are also stretch receptors. So when the dog eats and the stomach is stretched, the impulses again go to the spinal cord, but this time the reflex, outgoing, nerve signals are sent to the anal sphincter, so the dog defecates. This operates in people, too – which is why some people rush to the ‘reading room’ after a meal – especially breakfast.

Substrate - lol - he likes the bark in my plant beds :)

As for treats, I can do some chicken, why the heck not.

I have only let him go out a few times on his own, per say. I am watching from the door and he goes out with Mystic, my sheperd, but I see how this is wrong. I will go out every time now.

Also, we do have the party outside but it carries into the kitchen where the treats are. That makes sense to have the party outside and leave it outide.

Thanks for the great pointers people.

Ber, still thinking about what you said, if he had his drivers' license he would be on his way :wink: That was very, very sweet of you though. I would definitely trust you that is for sure. :)

WV, put down the beer, you've had one too many :wink: Seriously, love him to bits. He is the biggest sweet heart and though this potty training thing is an issue he is smart as heck. I am just a little frustrated and worried about my upcoming trip and having to leave him behind.

Oh, Cinder I will try that tether thing. As for GF she is just too young and too busy to give enough time to him. She never left him in his own stuff though. I would have strangled her if I thought that was the case. She just got in over her head :wink:

239941.jpg

titancup.jpg

titan2.jpg

titan1.jpg

Great looking dog. Just about the time you get him potty trained he will begin to chew up everything you own, watch your dive gear.

Oh, and I'm drinking rum thank you.

WVDiver:
Great looking dog.

yeah, how come you never said that about my dog Princess?

36995814_dd1abc37fc.jpg

WVDiver:
Great looking dog. Just about the time you get him potty trained he will begin to chew up everything you own, watch your dive gear.

Oh, and I'm drinking rum thank you.

Yes, becareful of the chewing. My lab went from chewing on all sorts of things to eating it. Now 2 intestinal blockage surgeries (rocks) & some "puppy Prozac" later all is good.

Back
Top Bottom