Help with my puppy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ber Rabbit:
Looks like she just has it hanging next to her leg, hard to tell in the picture though. Should know tonight when we pick her up. Hopefully she's as playful as our rep says, the last one was terribly calm and that didn't please Katie :D

:rofl3: :rofl3: Is he a big, tall, masculine looking kid? Oh the horror! :rofl3: :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

Yes, and you can tell the way he is carrying himself it is painful for him. I have no idea, but I am guessing she got it for Christmas. He has been out here since then with it. Poor guy. Maybe I should let him walk Mystic or Titan, ehehhehe :wink:

Dane's don't get their tails cropped!

Anyhoo... one thing I did with my dogs was to give them some audible way of letting me know they had to go out since early in the process they might just sit for a microsecond but if I didn't see it was MY fault (in puppy logic). What I did was hang choker collars or something else jingly over the preferred exit doorknob and before we went out, I asked them to hit it with their noses until it made a good racket. Then sit for a minute and out we'd go with lots of praise at every step.

I also made 'going potty' a trick. Once the puppy was out in the grass and just getting ready to do the business I'd say 'go potty!' then when they did, which was going to happen anyway, we had the big ol' "yay!! good go potty!!!" party with treats and fun and what not.

The jingle is awesome because you can hear it no matter what you're doing or where in the house you are and can get right on it as soon as the dog is ready to go! The only problem is it will be abused at some point because the dog is bored and wants to go play. Just go with it, it's still easier than cleaning up messes every day.

Rachel

Missdirected:
Nice. She is going to be big. I like Danes. Is her tail chopped?

As I write this, there is a kid walking his mom's new mop. Has a bright neon pink leash. He looks miserable. Bet he can't wait to head back to college. :wink:

As you are off to Costa Rica and like Danes - there is a B&B near Arenal that is cool. The owners have two danes that pretty much have the run of the place (if that is OK with the guests). They also have orchids. Cute place we enjoyed it.

http://www.chaletnicholas.com/

Puppies are so much fun. :D

Like a lot of people mention, crating is great. Another big one is being consistent with a schedule. And lots and lots of praise when they go potty outside. And only correct them for going inside when you actually catch them in the act, otherwise they won't know what they're getting punished for.

I got a 8 month old foster pup right now that, thankfully, was extremely easy to house train. Now if I can just teach him that the shoes and what not I leave laying around the house aren't toys....

This is all good advice. At 5&1/2 months your dog is physiologically capable of going extended periods (overnight, while you're at work) without having to go assuming there's not some problem. I've known 12 week old pups who were fully housetrained. I suspect you're just having to undo some bad habits. Main thing is consistency with the routine and lots of patience. Make sure everyone in the household is doing the same thing so as not to send mixed signals. I had the same problem with one of my dogs who came to me at 6 months. He'll still have the occasional accident if I get lazy.

Sneaking in a lil message...please don't tell Titan :winky:

Not one problem since I started this thread! Thank you everyone. :) This was very helpful. Especially in reminding me to be consistent.

I treated him yesterday by letting him go to daycare with my older dog. It will be a while before he is allowed to go again as I want him to have the rules "down" here before he goes again.

Let me just say, he came home beat. :) He was worthless the rest of the night - just a cute little lump on a log :D

Sounds like you got him under controll. Dont give up on a Lab. I have 2 1brown and 1 yellow. There is no better dog out there. They love people and are not vicous at all. My two love there crates and I never let the 1 .5 year old roam the house because she always finds someting to get into. Most of the time she brings it to me because that is what is their nature. Good Luck Woof-Wooof:D :D

Missdirected:
Nice. She is going to be big. I like Danes. Is her tail chopped?

Her tail isn't chopped, it was just between her legs in the picture. We picked her up Friday and she was pretty timid, but as time has gone on she's showing some alpha characteristics. She's not terribly tall but she is LONG in the body, when she lays down and stretches out she's probably 4 feet long or more. Not sure if we're going to keep her, she's very "bone aggressive" and that worries me because Katie likes to mess with her and may end up getting hurt. We're trying to figure out if this is something we can train out of her (she already relaxed her food bowl aggression) since she's only about a year old.

Glad to hear your boy is doing well!

Ber Rabbit:
Her tail isn't chopped, it was just between her legs in the picture. We picked her up Friday and she was pretty timid, but as time has gone on she's showing some alpha characteristics. She's not terribly tall but she is LONG in the body, when she lays down and stretches out she's probably 4 feet long or more. Not sure if we're going to keep her, she's very "bone aggressive" and that worries me because Katie likes to mess with her and may end up getting hurt. We're trying to figure out if this is something we can train out of her (she already relaxed her food bowl aggression) since she's only about a year old.

Glad to hear your boy is doing well!

Yep, still doing great :) Only one accident since this thread - and actually I have to say that was my fault - user error :wink:

Still have not decided what to do about vacation. I could send her to daycare to be boarded but I dunno about their procedures - no crates. It is a house setting where the dogs can go in and out. Not sure yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom